Wally Davis wanted to build a room in the attic of his house. Since he lives in Port Hope, he couldn’t just go ahead and do it. He went to the Low Level Radioactive Waste Management Office, a federal agency, requested the file on his property and asked them to test for remnants of historic radioactive waste.
“There was contamination in the roof, on the floors, in the walls . . . everywhere in the house,” said Davis, 75, a retired Ontario Hydro employee.
They did indeed. The waste management office spent $464,615 to clean up the house Davis bought a decade ago for $125,000 — or $130,000, he can’t remember.
“We didn’t have a clue how much they spent,” said Davis when the Star told him that almost a half-million dollars had been used to remediate his home.
Port Hope, the picture-pretty lakeside town about 110 kilometres east of Toronto, will soon see the biggest cleanup of historic radioactive waste in Canadian history. Fifty years of radium and uranium refining at the Cameco refinery, formerly Crown corporation Eldorado Nuclear Ltd., has left contamination spread around the town.
According to Judy Herod of the Port Hope Area Initiative, the agency in charge of the overall cleanup, the Davis house was “basically gutted” with work done on every part. Workers also removed asbestos found in the floor coverings, she added.
But the Davis house — built in the 1940s with tainted lumber — is an anomaly in terms of contamination, Herod said.
The Low Level Radioactive Waste Management Office has never done a remediation on this scale since it was formed in 1982, said Herod.
Choose Language / 言語
Updates / 最新記事
- 「通報遅い」「隠蔽体質」 放射性物質漏れ via 読売新聞
- Sorrell, attorney generals from New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts petition Nuclear Regulatory Commission via VTDigger.org
- Ex-chairman of Moapa Band of Paiutes Meyers dies via the Daily Herald
- Stricken Japan nuke plant struggles to keep staff via savannahnow.com
- One dead, 14 wounded in Niger uranium mine bombing: Areva via expatica.com
- ウラン施設に自爆テロ ニジェールで報復か via msn.産経ニュース
- 広瀬隆が提言「敦賀の次に廃炉にすべき原発は…」via dot. (週刊朝日）
- No Childhood Leukemia Found Near Ontario Nuclear Power Plants via Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
- Merkel protege struggles with Germany’s green revolution via Reuters
- Moniz sworn in as secretary of DOE via Power Engineering
Archives / 月別アーカイブ
- May 2013 (132)
- April 2013 (156)
- March 2013 (199)
- February 2013 (191)
- January 2013 (173)
- December 2012 (92)
- November 2012 (198)
- October 2012 (229)
- September 2012 (207)
- August 2012 (255)
- July 2012 (347)
- June 2012 (231)
- May 2012 (168)
- April 2012 (116)
- March 2012 (150)
- February 2012 (198)
- January 2012 (292)
- December 2011 (251)
- November 2011 (252)
- October 2011 (364)
- September 2011 (288)
- August 2011 (513)
- July 2011 (592)
- June 2011 (253)
- May 2011 (251)
- April 2011 (571)
- March 2011 (494)
- February 2011 (1)
- December 2010 (1)
By Topic / トピック一覧
anti-nuclear energy movement Atomic Age Capitalism East Japan Earthquake + Fukushima energy policy EU food France health Hiroshima/Nagasaki IAEA India Inequality labor nuclear waste Nuclear Weapons Oi Radiation exposure restart Russia/Ukraine/Chernobyl TEPCO U.S. UK エネルギー政策 メディア ヨーロッパ ロシア/ウクライナ/チェルノブイリ 上関 健康 公正・共生 兵器 再稼働 労働における公正・平等 原発推進 反原発運動 大飯原発 女性・フェミニズム 広島・長崎 教育 東京電力 東日本大震災・福島原発 米国 脱原発 被ばく 資本主義