January 10, 2019
♦Note: This post is likely to be updated with key points from the meeting in the near future.
For more detailed information on the Fukushima Thyroid Examination itself, see the September 2017 fact sheet (long version, or e-published PDF)
- The third round: 3 cases newly diagnosed as suspicious or malignant, and 2 new cases surgically confirmed.
- The fourth round: No cytology conducted yet as of September 30, 2018.
- Age 25 Milestone Screening for those born in FY1992: 2 cases diagnosed as suspicious or malignant. No surgery yet.
- Total number of suspected/confirmed thyroid cancer is now 206 (excluding a single case of benign tumor; 115 in the first round, 71 in the second round, 18 in the third round, and 2 in Age 25 Milestone Screening).
- Total number of surgically confirmed thyroid cancer cases has increased by 2 to 166 (101 in the first round, 52 in the second round, and 13 in the third round).The latest overall results including “unreported” cases:
On December 27, 2018, the 33rd Oversight Committee for Fukushima Health Management Survey (FHMS) convened in Fukushima City, Fukushima Prefecture. Among other information, the Oversight Committee released the latest results (as of September 30, 2018) of Thyroid Ultrasound Examination (TUE) including the third and fourth rounds as well as the Age 25 Milestone Screening for those born in FY1992. Official English translation will be available here in the near future.