The Nuclear Regulatory Commission is launching a special inspection into how some equipment responded to a power failure at a northern Illinois nuclear reactor.
NRC spokeswoman Viktoria Mitlyng says some water pumps at the Byron Generating Station switched off when the Unit 2 reactor lost power Monday, then came back on without being manually reset.
She says the pumps are designed to switch off after a set amount of time if there is an undervoltage, but normally must be reset.
She says there was no danger because the plant about 95 miles northwest of Chicago has multiple backup pumps, but the NRC wants all pumps to perform properly.
Exelon Energy officials say they’ve replaced a faulty electricity insulator at the plant that was responsible for the outage.
Workers from Illinois’ Emergency Management Agency are collecting water and vegetation samples to check for radioactive tritium around the plant.
Agency Director Jonathon Monken said Tuesday that there’s no reason to believe harmful levels of tritium were released from a stalled reactor at the Byron Generating Station.
Continue reading at NRC investigating nuclear reactor water pumps
Choose Language / 言語
Updates / 最新記事
- 保管のセシウム汚泥 1年で3倍に via とある原発の溶融貫通(メルトスルー)
- 核融合発電の安全性は識者の間でも意見が割れている via 週プレNews
- Living above Germany’s old nuclear waste via Deutsche Welle
- Fukushima No. 1 can’t keep its head above tainted water via The Japan Times
- Feds again delay San Onofre nuke restart decision via San Francisco Chronicle
- Japan, India to resume talks on nuclear cooperation pact via Global Post
- 日本とインドが原子力協定検討 原発輸出を加速 via msn.産経ニュース
- 放射性セシウム、深部で濃度高く 海洋機構が分析結果 via 日本経済新聞
- Why Ernest Moniz matters via Herald Everett, Washington
- Farmers plant rice in former no-go zone in Fukushima for the first time via JDP
Archives / 月別アーカイブ
- May 2013 (116)
- April 2013 (156)
- March 2013 (199)
- February 2013 (191)
- January 2013 (173)
- December 2012 (92)
- November 2012 (198)
- October 2012 (229)
- September 2012 (207)
- August 2012 (255)
- July 2012 (347)
- June 2012 (231)
- May 2012 (168)
- April 2012 (116)
- March 2012 (150)
- February 2012 (198)
- January 2012 (292)
- December 2011 (251)
- November 2011 (252)
- October 2011 (364)
- September 2011 (288)
- August 2011 (513)
- July 2011 (592)
- June 2011 (253)
- May 2011 (251)
- April 2011 (571)
- March 2011 (494)
- February 2011 (1)
- December 2010 (1)
By Topic / トピック一覧
anti-nuclear energy movement Atomic Age Capitalism East Japan Earthquake + Fukushima energy policy EU food France health Hiroshima/Nagasaki IAEA India Inequality labor nuclear waste Nuclear Weapons Oi Radiation exposure restart Russia/Ukraine/Chernobyl TEPCO U.S. UK エネルギー政策 メディア ヨーロッパ ロシア/ウクライナ/チェルノブイリ 上関 健康 公正・共生 兵器 再稼働 労働における公正・平等 原発推進 反原発運動 大飯原発 女性・フェミニズム 広島・長崎 教育 東京電力 東日本大震災・福島原発 米国 脱原発 被ばく 資本主義