川内原発検証 2委員 関係企業から寄付 中立性疑義 via東京新聞

九州電力川内(せんだい)原発(鹿児島県薩摩川内市)の安全性などを検証するため県が設置した専門家委員会のメンバー十二人のうち少なくとも二人が、九電や原発メーカーの三菱重工業などから寄付金などを受け取っていたことが分かった。関係企業から寄付を受けていれば判断の中立性への疑義が生じかねず、波紋を呼びそうだ。

 寄付などの受け取りが判明したのは宮町宏樹鹿児島大大学院教授(地震学・火山物理学)と守田幸路(こうじ)九州大大学院教授(原子炉熱流動・安全工学)の二人。いずれも原子力規制委員会の有識者会合のメンバーや臨時委員なども務めており、規制委に提出した自己申告書に記載していた。

[…]

また、佐賀県が九電玄海原発(同県玄海町)の再稼働を巡って設置した安全性を議論する専門部会メンバーの出光一哉・九大大学院教授(核燃料工学)が、原発を持つ電力十社から拠出金を受ける認可法人「使用済燃料再処理機構」(青森市)の非常勤理事を兼務していることも判明した。

 県は委員選定で、電力会社や再処理事業者の社員や関連団体の役員でないことを条件としており、反原発派などが反発する可能性もある。出光氏は取材に「役員であることは県にも申告しており、問題ない」と強調した。

 

もっと読む。

Posted in *日本語 | Tagged , | Comments Off on 川内原発検証 2委員 関係企業から寄付 中立性疑義 via東京新聞

Putin Gives A Surprising Response to Trump’s Nuclear Plans via Fortune

ussia’s Vladimir Putin said on Friday he was unfazed by President-elect Donald Trump’s plans to boost the U.S. nuclear arsenal, praising Trump for being in touch with U.S. public opinion while branding the Democrats sore election losers.

Speaking at his annual news conference in Moscow, the Russian president said earlier comments he had made about his country’s own military modernization had been misunderstood in the United States and that he accepted that the U.S. military, not Russia’s, was the most powerful in the world.

Putin said on Thursday Russia’s military was “stronger than any potential aggressor”. Trump later tweeted that the United States “must greatly strengthen and expand its nuclear capability until such time as the world comes to its senses regarding nukes.”

Asked to clarify his comments on Friday, MSNBC reported that Trump had said: “Let it be an arms race. We will outmatch them at every pass and outlast them all.”

But Putin said he did not regard the United States as a potential aggressor and had only been talking about countries he thought might realistically launch an attack on Russia.

I was a bit surprised by the statements from some representatives of the current U.S. administration who for some reason started to prove that the U.S. military was the most powerful in the world,” Putin said, referring to State Department comments from Thursday.

“Nobody is arguing with that.”

[…]

 

Read more.

Posted in *English | Tagged , , | Comments Off on Putin Gives A Surprising Response to Trump’s Nuclear Plans via Fortune

GOP fury over energy confronts reality of Congress’ snail pace via The Denver Post

 

By Jennifer A. Dlouhy and Ari Natter, Bloomberg

Republicans who have vowed to roll back dozens of Obama-era coal, climate and energy regulations are up against a harsh reality: There isn’t enough time to kill them all.

A packed congressional calendar and the challenge of assembling a coalition to vote down each measure will force lawmakers to pick their targets. New cabinet secretaries can relax enforcement of certain regulations but can’t scrap them entirely without a lengthy rulemaking process.

And in some cases, such as a measure announced this week to restrict offshore oil drilling based on an obscure statute, Obama has employed novel means that may take years to untangle in court.

“More will happen than environmentalists want, but less will happen than Republicans are hoping,” said Kevin Book, managing director of the Washington-based research firm ClearView Energy Partners.

Two Interior Department rules are the top candidates to get a vote under expedited procedures that give lawmakers a chance to review major regulations: one limiting the venting and flaring of natural gas on public lands and another designed to protect streams from coal-mining pollution. Both are opposed by industry.

The measures were part of a flurry of last-minute rulemaking by President Barack Obama, which has pushed nearly two dozen major regulations out the door since the election. With so many measures taking effect, not all may be repealed.

“Part of the Obama administration’s strategy is filling the policy horizon with chaff and hoping some of the missiles get through,” Book said. “And it might work.”

[…]

Read more.

Posted in *English | Tagged , | Comments Off on GOP fury over energy confronts reality of Congress’ snail pace via The Denver Post

Baker has authority to order Pilgrim closure [letter] via the Cape Cod Times

Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station has put Cape Cod residents, animals, summer tourists and the land itself in dire straits. Boston and surroundings are also at ground zero.

When Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant melted down, John V. Roos, our ambassador to Japan at the time, said, “Consistent with the NRC guidelines that apply to such a situation in the United States, we are recommending, as a precaution, that American citizens who live within 50 miles … of the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant evacuate the area or to take shelter indoors if safe evacuation is not practical.” Pilgrim’s is a Mark 1 boiling water reactor, the same model as at Fukushima.

Gov. Charlie Baker is at risk at work and at home. Boston is 34 miles from Pilgrim as the crow flies. Baker’s home in Swampscott is 38 miles away. I live in Watertown, 39 miles away.

Baker is the public safety and public health officer of Massachusetts. We the people need him to be our voice to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission now.

[…]

 

Read more.

Posted in *English | Tagged , | Comments Off on Baker has authority to order Pilgrim closure [letter] via the Cape Cod Times

福島第一原発3号機、プールに残る燃料取り出し再延期 via

 国と東京電力は22日、福島第一原発3号機の使用済み燃料プールに残る566体の燃料の取り出しを、再び延期すると明らかにした。建屋上部の放射線量が下がらず、がれき撤去などの準備作業が遅れていたためで、目標だった2018年1月の開始を断念する。

燃料の取り出しは当初、15年度の予定だった。だが、放射線量が高くて延期。がれきを撤去して放射線量を下げようとしたが、予想以上に汚染が広がっていたため作業に時間がかかり、再度延期を決めた。

がれきの撤去がほぼ終わり、このほど放射線量も下がった。作業員が現場で作業できるようになったことから、年明けに改めて取り出しの目標時期を決める。1、2号機での取り出しは20年度以降としている。

[…]

 

 

全文を読む。

Posted in *日本語 | Tagged , | Comments Off on 福島第一原発3号機、プールに残る燃料取り出し再延期 via

柏崎原発「40年でやめる根拠ない」 刈羽村長 運転期間を疑問視 via 新潟日報

 刈羽村の品田宏夫村長は21日の村議会12月定例会の一般質問で、東京電力柏崎刈羽原発の運転期間について「40年で運転をやめる科学的な根拠が示されていない。米国では60年を越えて動いている原発もある」と述べ、原子炉等規制法で原則40年と定められている原発の運転期間を疑問視する姿勢を示した。

[…]

 柏崎市の桜井雅浩市長は、柏崎刈羽原発が運転開始から40年が経過した際は廃炉にするべきだと主張している。

全文を読む。

Posted in *日本語 | Tagged , , | Comments Off on 柏崎原発「40年でやめる根拠ない」 刈羽村長 運転期間を疑問視 via 新潟日報

九電、原発部門を再分離 「やらせ問題」で統合したが via 朝日新聞

 九州電力は21日、来年4月から大規模な組織再編を実施すると発表した。原子力発電部門を社長の直轄で独立させる。2011年の「やらせメール問題」を機に「透明性向上のため」などとして火力発電と統合したが、また切り離す。

もともと「原子力発電本部」だった原発部門は、12年7月の組織再編で火力と「発電本部」に統合した。今回また独立部門にし、名称も「原子力発電本部」に戻すという。

[…]

12年の火力との統合は、玄海原発の再稼働をめぐる県民向け説明番組で、九電が社員らに賛成意見の投稿を呼びかけた「やらせメール問題」が発端だった。批判が集中し、「透明性の向上」を掲げて原発部門の組織を見直していた。

今回の再編ではまた、火力と水力の両発電部門を販売や調達部門などと統合する。(柴田秀並)

 

 

もっと読む。

Posted in *日本語 | Tagged , | Comments Off on 九電、原発部門を再分離 「やらせ問題」で統合したが via 朝日新聞

Radioactive sludge removed from UK’s Pile Fuel Storage Pond via World Nuclear News

Radioactive sludge has been transferred out of the world’s oldest nuclear fuel pond for the first time, the UK’s Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA) and Sellafield Ltd announced yesterday. The project is being delivered ten years ahead of schedule and for half the expected cost, they said in a joint statement.

Sludge – formed from decaying nuclear fuel, natural growing algae and other debris – has accumulated in the water of the Pile Fuel Storage Pond (PFSP) at Sellafield during its 65-year lifespan. It must be removed so the facility can be safely decommissioned. The PFSP is one of the four ageing facilities at Sellafield which the NDA has prioritised for clean-up.

The project is being delivered for half the predicted £200 million ($246 million) cost. A ten-year project to dewater the pond will start in 2019, while sludge is still being removed.

John Clarke, NDA chief executive, said: “This pond was not designed with decommissioning in mind, and therefore we welcome this work by Sellafield Ltd to begin safe removal of sludge, which is a key step in making the site safer. The removal of the sludge contributes to achieving our overall goal of risk reduction by placing radioactive material and substances under more modern storage arrangements until it is ultimately moved to a Geological Disposal Facility.” He added that sludge accounts for one-third of the pond’s remaining radioactive content, after 70% was removed earlier this year with the completion of fuel exports.

The first 500-litre drum containing the mud-like substance was moved to an encapsulation plant last week. It is then grouted – rendering the waste passively safe – and processed into a storage state, ready for final disposal in a geological disposal facility. The initial sludge removal involves pumping the material into a purpose-built treatment plant next to the pond, before transfer to the drum filling plant. It will take several years to remove all of the sludge in the pond, according to the statement.

[…]

The 100-metre long pond was originally used to store nuclear fuel used to make atomic weapons. All the bulk stocks of fuel have now been removed, leaving sludge as the biggest remaining radioactive hazard.

Read more at Radioactive sludge removed from UK’s Pile Fuel Storage Pond

Posted in *English | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off on Radioactive sludge removed from UK’s Pile Fuel Storage Pond via World Nuclear News

福島原発 凍土壁液漏れ、冷却不可能に…20メートル区間 via 毎日新聞

東京電力は22日、汚染水対策のために福島第1原発の建屋周辺の地下を凍らせた「凍土遮水壁」(全長約1.5キロ)で、地下の配管を循環している冷却液が漏れ、北側の約20メートルの区間が冷却できなくなったと発表した。東電によると、付近の地下の温度は0度以下を維持しており、氷の壁は解けていないとみている。凍結は今年3月に開始されたが、冷却液漏れは初めて。

(略)

 公表が発生3日後になったことについて、東電は「冷却液が漏れることはあり得る。安全上の問題は発生していない」と説明した。【柳楽未来】

Posted in *日本語 | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on 福島原発 凍土壁液漏れ、冷却不可能に…20メートル区間 via 毎日新聞

原発検証2委員に企業から寄付 九電の川内、中立性疑義 via 西日本新聞

九州電力川内原発(鹿児島県薩摩川内市)の安全性などを検証するため県が設置した専門家委員会のメンバー12人のうち少なくとも2人が九電や原発メーカーの三菱重工業などから寄付金などを受け取っていたことが22日、分かった。関係企業から寄付を受けていれば判断の中立性への疑義が生じかねず、波紋を呼びそうだ。

寄付などを受け取っていたのが判明したのは宮町宏樹鹿児島大大学院教授(地震学・火山物理学)と守田幸路九大大学院教授(原子炉熱流動・安全工学)の2人。

続きは原発検証2委員に企業から寄付 九電の川内、中立性疑義

Posted in *日本語 | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on 原発検証2委員に企業から寄付 九電の川内、中立性疑義 via 西日本新聞