Okuma plans apartments for evacuated elderly who want to live out lives in hometown via The Asahi Shimbun

With all the 10,000 residents of Okuma, Fukushima Prefecture, still evacuated from the March 2011 nuclear accident, many of the elderly are hoping to live their final years in their hometown.

In response, Okuma has set up a project team during the current fiscal year to construct apartment buildings within two years for elderly residents wanting to return home.

Tokyo Electric Power Co., operator of the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant that caused the accident, also plans to construct dormitories for its employees in Okuma, which co-hosts the crippled plant, along with the neighboring town of Futaba.

These housing projects demonstrate that attempts to restore people’s lives in the town have begun, according to Okuma officials and TEPCO.

[…]
The central government is aiming to lift the evacuation order for no-residence zones, including the Ogawara district, by March 2017. By that time, Okuma officials plan to have completed the construction of the apartment buildings for elderly residents.

“Judging from the feedback we received in repeated meetings with residents, about 100 people will move into the apartment buildings,” a high-ranking town government official said.

TEPCO’s dormitories will also be constructed in the Ogawara district. Almost all of the land owners for the buildings have already given permission for the use of their properties. As the dormitories will be completed in 2016 at the earliest, TEPCO employees who will live in them will become the first people to reside in Okuma since all the residents evacuated in March 2011.

Though the evacuation orders are still in effect for the entire town through 2016, TEPCO employees will be allowed to live in the dormitories under special permission granted to those engaged in the decommissioning of the nuclear reactors.

Meanwhile, in Naraha and some other municipalities, where evacuation orders have already been lifted, efforts to return residents have made little progress.

[…]

Read more.

Posted in *English.

Tagged with , , , .

11 Responses

1. norma field says

“Though the evacuation orders are still in effect for the entire town through 2016, TEPCO employees will be allowed to live in the dormitories under special permission granted to those engaged in the decommissioning of the nuclear reactors.” How odd this language is–permission given to workers to court extra risk to their health. Or rather, how odd that it no longer seems odd, given how living with nuclear disaster has come to be discussed.

2. lisa says

I¦ve learn a few excellent stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how so much attempt you place to create this type of fantastic informative web site. Lisa

3. satta matka says

nice

4. indian matka says

ok

5. boss matka says

This site provides you with all the content created by Pinoy Lambingan. The Pinoy Tv Shows Channel is a place to get away from all the boring TV shows.

6. matka 420 says

qwertuiop[

7. 토토커뮤니티 says

Of course, your article is good enough, but I thought it would be much better to see professional photos and videos together. There are articles and photos on these topics on my homepage, so please visit and share your opinions. 토토커뮤니티

8. 먹튀검증업체 says

What happened to this story? I think it’s incredible.먹튀검증업체If I have a chance next time, I will tell you a story.Let’s stay healthy during that time.2

9. 메이저사이트추천 says

I hit a home run. I’m so thrilled to read this.메이저사이트추천

10. 사설토토사이트 says

I finally found what I was looking for! I’m so happy. 사설토토사이트 Your article is what I’ve been looking for for a long time. I’m happy to find you like this. Could you visit my website if you have time? I’m sure you’ll find a post of interest that you’ll find interesting.

11. 먹튀검증사이트 says

Youre so right. Im there with you. Your weblog is definitely worth a read if anyone comes throughout it. Im lucky I did because now Ive received a whole new view of this. 먹튀검증사이트