Movie shows 3/11 disaster played out in the prime minister’s office via Asahi Shimbun

“Taiyo no Futa” (The Seal of the Sun) goes to great lengths to recreate the tense and chaotic days of the March 2011 earthquake, tsunami and nuclear disaster, providing a perspective on what happened in the prime minister’s office.

The movie faithfully recounts the catastrophe, using an enormous volume of reports and interviews with politicians and government officials dealing with the crisis as its source material.

In a rare move in Japanese cinema, the 130-minute film is based closely on actual events and people involved, featuring characterizations of the real-life Cabinet members at the time.

The story unfolds from the viewpoint of a political reporter (played by Yukiya Kitamura) struggling to uncover the truth behind the accident at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant.

Then-Prime Minister Naoto Kan is played by Kunihiko Mitamura, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano by Daikichi Sugawara, and Deputy Chief Cabinet Secretary Tetsuro Fukuyama by Yu Kamio, respectively.

[…]
It took more than a year to complete the screenplay, Otsuka said.

The story shows the Cabinet members as they experience a sudden, strong jolt. It is followed by an enormous tsunami that causes a total loss of power, a failure of the cooling systems, the ensuing hydrogen explosions at the nuclear plant and charged debate over the withdrawal of workers from the plant.

Amid conflicting reports about the situation, each episode is vividly represented, exposing an absence of meaningful communication between the prime minister’s office and TEPCO.

Meanwhile, the film also portrays the life of ordinary people, including the reporter’s wife, who raises a small child in Tokyo, a young nuclear power plant worker in Fukushima and his family. These characters were created based on stories gathered from several people to shed light on anxieties and situation of conflict that must have been experienced by a lot of people at the time, drawing sympathy from the audience.

The movie was directed by Futoshi Sato based on a screenplay written by Takashi Hasegawa.

“None of us are journalists or socially minded citizens, but that was why we wanted to make the movie with some sort of an entertainment element so that the public will find it accessible,” Otsuka said.

However, the production team kept in mind to present real-life events, especially what was happening in the prime minister’s office, as faithfully as possible.

“It is easier to make a drama out of a conflict situation, but the reality is not that simple,” the producer added. “In fact, the film offers a perspective on a battle between humanity and the nuclear power plant, in a way. I hope it provides an opportunity to get an overview of what was happening at the time again and reflect.”

[…]

Read more.

Posted in *English.

Tagged with , , .

19 Responses

1. houfmanaiden says

I am genuinely pleased to glance at this blog posts which carries tons of helpful facts, thanks for providing these kinds of information. เว็บบาคาร่ายอดนิยม

2. pgslot says

Remarkable! Its actually amazing post, I have got much clear idea
    about from this paragraph. pg slot

3. kingroyal88 says

Hi there fantastic website! Does running a
    blog like this require a lot of work? I have absolutely no knowledge of programming however I had been hoping ฝากถอนไม่มีขั้นต่ำ

4. pg slot.money says

to start my own blog in the near future. Anyhow, should บทความทั้งหมด
    you have any ideas or tips for new blog owners please share.
    I know this is off topic but I simply had to ask. Many thanks!

5. jokerslot.game says

It’s difficult to find educated people about this subject, however, you seem
    like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks xojoker

6. joker 123.game says

Very descriptive post, I liked that bit. Will there be a part 2? Joker

7. pgslot978 says

Hey this is kinda of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML. สมัครสมาชิก

8. autobet says

I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding expertise so I
    wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Betway
    Any help would be enormously appreciated!

9. slotxo says

สมัครสมาชิก Hi there, I discovered your blog by way of Google whilst looking for a similar topic, your website got here up, it appears good.
    I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

10. gclub says

Appreciate the recommendation. Let me try it out. Joker888

11. pg slot says

For the reason that the admin of this website is working, noสล็อตออนไลน์
    doubt very shortly it will be well-known, due to its quality contents.

12. kingroyal88 says

Fantastic blog! Do you have any helpful hints for aspiring writers?
    I’m hoping to start my own blog soon but I’m a little บาคาร่าออนไลน์

13. pg slot.money says

lost on everything. Would you advise starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid สล็อตออนไลน์
    option? There are so many choices out there that I’m totally confused ..
    Any suggestions? Many thanks!

14. jokerslot says

You can have office applications that will meet all your needs in the digital world. Office 365 is now available at very affordable prices. สล็อตออนไลน์ คลิกที่นี่

15. joker123 says

The article is really excellent. Every time I read it, I get information again.
    The best article I’ve read in a long timeสล็อตมาแรงที่สุด

16. pgslot978 says

Im no expert, but I think you just crafted an excellent point. You naturally comprehend what youre talking about, and I can actually get behind that. Thanks for being so upfront and so honest. สล็อตออนไลน์ดีที่สุด

17. autobet says

Ini sangat memuaskan dan sungguh memberikan pencerahan yang sangat memberikan arti yang bagus สมัครบาคาร่า คลิกที่นี่

18. slotxo says

We create photobooth rental experiences through creating shareable content. We help you make personalized photograph keepsakes using our custom booths and technology for lasting memories that can stay with you and your guests for a lifetime. View more at สล็อตออนไลน์

19. gclub says

I am always searching online for storys that can accommodate me. There is obviously a multiple to understand about this. I feel you made few salubrious points in Attributes moreover. Detain busy, awesome career! สล็อตออนไลน์