The Secretary-General condemns the underground nuclear weapon test conducted by the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) today. It is a clear and grave violation of the relevant Security Council resolutions.
It is deplorable that Pyongyang defied the strong and unequivocal call from the international community to refrain from any further provocative measures. The Secretary-General had repeatedly called on the new leadership in Pyongyang to address international concerns and start building confidence with neighbouring countries and the international community.
The Secretary-General is gravely concerned about the negative impact of this deeply destabilizing act on regional stability as well as the global efforts for nuclear non-proliferation. He once again urges the DPRK to reverse course and work towards de-nuclearization of the Korean peninsula.
- North Korea Confirms It Conducted 3rd Nuclear Test via The New York Times
- Nuclear Test by North Korea and need for a Quietist Japan: US and South Korea condemn Pyongyang via modern tokyo times
- NATO says North Korea nuclear test is grave threat to world peace via Reuters
- President Hollande condemns North Korean nuclear test via France in the United Kingdom
- China calls in NKorean ambassador over nuke test via Denverpost
- North Korea conducted nuclear test biggest yet via Russia beyond the Headlines