Skip to content


Virus another setback for typhoon-hit areas via Honolulu Star-Advertiser

TOKYO >> The ongoing outbreak of COVID-19 has dealt an additional blow to areas in eastern Japan that were devastated by Typhoon Hagibis in October.

Six months have passed since the typhoon struck, but local economies are unable to recover as the spread of the coronavirus causes new harm in places that were flooded during the disaster.

Facilities of 258 companies at the Koriyama Central Industrial Park in Koriyama, Fuku­shima Prefecture, for instance, were hit by Hagibis. That’s 92% of tenants, with with almost all of them damaged due to flooding of area rivers. That damage exceeded $373.3 million.

Today, about 30% remain unable to fully resume operations.

“The future is still not in sight,” one manager lamented.

[…]

Since March this year, however, many events have been canceled due to the spread of the coronavirus.

“Because the Tokyo Olympics were postponed, all our work related to the torch relay, which was scheduled to start in Fukushima Prefecture, was canceled,” said a senior executive of the company.

[…]

According to the Koriyama city government, about 70% of companies in the industrial complex are fully operational. The other 30% are either partially open or completely dormant.

Some companies have left.

In December, Tokyo-based Hitachi Ltd. decided to relocate its Koriyama branch to another prefecture.

“The decision was made for the safety of our employees and the stable supply of our products,” a Hitachi spokesperson said.

In January, the city surveyed the park’s companies about their needs and set up an office on site. Among the services it provides is information about government assistance.

The city is also mediating the relocation of businesses to other Koriyama sites, to keep them in the city.

But there is still concern that some businesses will decide to halt operations because of the coronavirus.

“This situation is beyond what we imagined,” said a city government official.

Read more.

Posted in *日本語.

Tagged with .


7 Responses

Stay in touch with the conversation, subscribe to the RSS feed for comments on this post.

  1. prathyusha says

    Extremely overall quite fascinating post. I was searching for this sort of data and delighted in perusing this one. Continue posting. A debt of gratitude is in order for sharing.data science courses in Hyderabad

  2. dark web links says

    But if you are looking for any information on the Dark Web that you require then you can find it very easily.

  3. AWS Training in Hyderabad says

    Thank you for sharing such an amazing post my friend, your post is absolutely so inspiring every time. Keep sharing frequently!

  4. bhavya says

    Thanks for sharing the info it is really useful we are looking for more information
    datascience Training in Hyderabad

  5. Spark and Scala Training in Hyderabad says

    thanks for sharing this post

  6. flag tune says

    thanks for sharing the info learnt many thing we are looking forward for more valuable information.
    aws Training in Hyderabad

  7. avg driver updater crack says

    AVG Driver Updater Crack is an interactive application for updating and installing drivers with a lot of hassle and wasted time. Drivers are the primary source of lag, freezing, or not achieving the correct results we are looking for as driver updates provide new enhancements, fixes, and more fixing issues and bugs. avg driver updater crack



Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.