Does living near a nuclear plant give children cancer? via Beyond Nuclear International

By Cindy Folkers

Nuclear regulators don’t want you to know

More than 60 studies have shown increases of childhood leukemia around nuclear facilities worldwide. Despite this finding, there has never been independent analysis in the US examining connections between childhood cancer and nuclear facilities. The US Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) had tasked the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) to conduct such a study, but then withdrew funding, claiming publicly that it would be too expensive.

In fact, documents obtained through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) process reveal that NRC employees had already determined the study would show no impact. Internal emails indicate that staff was presupposing a conclusion for which they had no evidence, demonstrated by statements like “even if you found something that looked like a relationship [between cancer and radiation], you wouldn’t know what to attribute it to,” and “[m]ost people realize that all the evidence shows you’re not going to find anything.” The evidence, however, had not yet been fully collected and examined.

Not protective and unaccountable

While the NRC claims it protects public health, its radiation exposure standards fail to account fully for:

• impacts on the placenta
  • impacts on fetal blood forming cells
  • impacts on fetal and embryonic organs
  • estrogenic impacts
  • disproportionate impacts on women
  • genetic impacts past the second generation
  • cumulative damage of repeated radiation exposure

NRC exposure data and modeling is designed to demonstrate compliance with the NRC’s regulations but not to assess health impacts. The NRC has already stated numerous times that it believes low doses of radiation, the kind NRC claims its licensees are allowed to release, pose risks so low that health impacts may not be discernible. We don’t know if NRC’s claims of no discernible or attributable public health impact from nuclear power are actually true since no one has ever looked properly.

[…]

Studies in other countries show association between nuclear facilities and childhood cancer. However, given the demonstrable bias of the US NRC toward low doses having no health impact, it is essential that a US study go forward under the auspices of outside, independent experts, in order to examine what is happening in the US.

Ground-breaking study plans were threat to current health assumptions

Under the original and now canceled study, the NRC had tasked the NAS to use the most advanced methods in order to update the study the NRC currently uses to claim its reactors are safe. That study, published in 1990, had several shortcomings including the way the authors define and examine disease, assumptions about doses, location of cases, and who is examined.

The NAS was considering two study designs, one examining specifically children. This study type, dubbed by one expert as a case-control nested in a cohort, is very similar in basic design to studies conducted in France and Germany, which show increases in childhood leukemia around nuclear power facilities.

[…]

Read more.

Posted in *English.

Tagged with , , , , , .

12 Responses

1. prathyusha says

Incredibly all around intriguing post. I was searching for such a data and completely appreciated inspecting this one. Continue posting. A commitment of gratefulness is all together for sharing.data science course in Hyderabad

2. LAMPCASINO says

There are many concerns about nuclear power plants. People living nearby are always at risk of radiation. Radiation is especially fatal for young children and the elderly. Many people are not aware of this problem. I think many people should be alert to this. Thank you for writing the post with the same thought as me. 카지노사이트

3. casinosite777.info says

Appreciate the effort and information you have given in writing this article .
    카지노사이트

4. baccaratsite.top says

Thanks for sharing this marvelous post. I m very pleased to read this article.
    바카라사이트

5. sportstoto.zone says

Thanks for such a valuable post. I am waiting for your next post, I have enjoyed a lot reading this post keep it up.
    토토사이트

6. baccaratsite.biz says

It is very well written, and your points are well-expressed. I request you warmly, please, don’t ever stop writing.
    카지노사이트

7. 안전놀이터 says

I’m so happy to see such a good article after a long time, so I’d appreciate it if you gave me more information.안전놀이터

8. 메이저놀이터 says

I’d like to come back whenever I have a chance to visit your blog again. 메이저놀이터 Let’s have fun talking next time. Please let me know about my blog. Thank you.

9. keo nha cai says

I finally found what I was looking for! I’m so happy. keo nha cai Your article is what I’ve been looking for for a long time. I’m happy to find you like this. Could you visit my website if you have time? I’m sure you’ll find a post of interest that you’ll find interesting.

10. 토토사이트 says

I have a small hobby of reading good articles these days, and I think I’m going to go beyond triviality because I’m so impressed by what you wrote.
    토토사이트

11. bhavya says

Thanks for sharing the information we are very glad for knowing this information
    hadoop Training in Hyderabad

12. avast premium security license file says

Bandizip Crack is a free compression tool that uses a well-known ZIP algorithm to create and retrieve files as fast as a multi-core CPU can handle. To further improve work efficiency, it also includes drag and drops functionality and multitasking procedures. bandizip crack