Fukushima – 9 Years Later: Deep Wisdom of the Heart via Fairewinds Energy Education

A Personal Essay by Chiho Kaneko, Member, Board of Directors Fairewinds Energy Education

I have never experienced so many people wearing protective masks on the Shinkansen high-speed train, as I did at the end of January 2020, when I traveled from northern Japan to the airport in Tokyo. The news of the coronavirus outbreak was just starting to dominate the media.

How ironic, I thought to myself, that now I could wear a mask without feeling guilty, unlike all the times when I have traveled to Fukushima in the years since the meltdowns.

It’s been more than nine years since March 2011 and the devastating Tohoku [Great East] Earthquake, simultaneous tsunami, and subsequent meltdown of three nuclear power plants at the Fukushima Atomic Power site in Japan. 

Scrape the ground, push, mound, and level. 

Build, build, and build. Build new buildings, seawalls, and highways. 

Build temporary incinerators, dozens of them, and burn, burn, and burn. 

Burn the tsunami debris. 

Burn the bales of hay and shiitake logs contaminated with cesium. 

Burn organic waste created by the government “decontamination” initiatives.

Then, before you know it, dismantle those temporary incinerators! 

Now build new biomass power plants! 

Use the trees clear-cut on hillsides where nuclear fallout has settled!

[…]

Afterword, by Maggie Gundersen

Special thanks to Chiho Kaneko, a member of the Fairewinds Energy Board of Directors, for writing such a poignant and heartfelt essay. When I first read it, I cried.

At least twice each year, Fairewinds Energy Education Board Member Chiho Kaneko travels to Japan to visit with her mother, family members, and friends. Ms. Kaneko lives in Heartland, Vermont, where she is a talented artist, musician, and vocal soloist. We first met in 2011 during the aftermath of meltdowns at Fukushima Dai-ichi. Through all of Arnie’s and my work with Fairewinds in Japan, Ms. Kaneko’s insight and support have enabled us to reach so many more people around the world. Thank you, Chiho Kaneko, for lending heart and soul to Fairewinds educational and research ventures and to our efforts to reach out to others around the world since the Fukushima triple meltdowns brought us to another precipice.

[…]

Everyone we work with and share our lives with internally and externally has been deeply impacted by the past year with Pandemic 2020 and the devastating expansion of explosive atomic power, new nuclear weapons, and the tragic release of importantly stringent radiation regulations. For those reasons, we will continue to share our insights, emotional growth, and daily challenges of ‘Living in the Time of Pandemic 2020’. Therefore, the Fairewinds Crew, including our board members and some of our scientific colleagues and advisors, will continue to weave personal essays into our Demystifying Nuclear Power Blog.

Today, we shared this heartfelt personal blog post by Chiho Kaneko with you – our Fairewinds community. We are so thankful that you join us in our efforts to love our planet in the midst of a climate emergency, the devastating and ongoing spread of radioactivity in the food we eat, the water we drink, and the very air we breathe, on top of the second-worst health pandemic this world has ever faced (right after the Bubonic Plague in the 14th century).

Thank you for sharing this process with us. Fairewinds will keep you informed!

Read more.

Posted in *English.

Tagged with , , .

13 Responses

1. data science courses in malaysia says

I irrefutably valuing every single bit of it I have you bookmarked to take a gander at new stuff you post.
    360DigiTMG data science courses in malaysia

2. 360DigiTMG says

Good to become visiting your weblog again, it has been months for me. Nicely this article that i’ve been waited for so long. I will need this post to total my assignment in the college, and it has exact same topic together with your write-up. Thanks, good share.
    data science training in hyderabad

3. टी शर्ट प्रिंटिंग says

टी शर्ट प्रिंटिंग today is very different from how entrepreneurs used to advertise their t shirt business in the olden days.

4. Noida Escort says

My name is Rita I am available in Gurgaon and you can know the more information in this aspect, her to know the above features regarded my services you can find lots of things in this aspect.

5. 360digitmg says

I see some amazingly important and kept up to length of your strength searching for in your on the site
    data scientist training and placement

6. dark web links says

If you are trying to find out how much is a credit card on the dark web and do not know where to look, then this article will hopefully help you. Specifically we are going to talk about how to determine the legitimacy of the site, how to avoid being scammed, and how to find the best websites that can help you out with your credit card needs. By the time you have finished reading this article, you will know exactly how to determine the legitimacy of a site and how to avoid being scammed. Once you do this, then you will know exactly how much is a credit card on the dark web!

7. 360digitmg says

Good to be here in your article or post, whatever, I think I should also work hard for my own website like I see some good and updated working in your site.
    data scientist course in hyderabad

8. 360DIGITMGtraining says

Such a very useful article. Very interesting to read this article.I would like to thank you for the efforts you had made for writing this awesome article.
    data science course

9. 360digitmg says

It was a good experience to read about dangerous punctuation. Informative for everyone looking on the subject.
    data scientist training in hyderabad

10. switch audio file converter crack says

Switch Sound File Converter Crack is an excellent and best audio converter created to create, convert and modify audio files with various operations. It is a powerful and comprehensive application, equipped with many creative tools and features that give the user complete control over creating a fully personalized output file. switch audio file converter crack

11. Ada Masali says

Very quickly this site will be famous amid all blogging and site-building users,
    due to it’s nice articles