Saxon church prays for deliverance from nuclear plant via The Guardian

For the 55 years that Tim Fox has worshipped at St Peter-on-the-Wall, his only neighbours have been a farm and a birdwatchers’ shelter.

Now, the tranquil surroundings of the salt marsh and the Essex sea wall at Bradwell-on-Sea are threatened by a new arrival: a sprawling nuclear power station, Bradwell B.

If all goes to plan, the Grade I-listed St Peter-on-the-Wall, built in an abandoned Roman fort in about 660 during the Saxon settlement of Britain, will be an ideal place to watch 10,600 construction workers building the nuclear reactor. “My parents brought me here in 1965 when I was four years old and I can’t remember not coming,” Fox said. “If they build the power station, it would have a devastating effect on us – I don’t think we’d be able to survive the construction.”

Fox is a member of an obscure Christian community called Othona, founded by an RAF chaplain after the second world war, and named after the Roman fort that the chapel was built on, although most of the ruins have been swallowed by the seas around the Blackwater estuary.

“We have about 700 members in Essex,” Fox, Othona’s centre manager, said. “There’s no hierarchy and no restrictions. Anyone who wants to lead can take the daily service. That might be reading a bit of poetry or meditating – anything as long as it’s not inciting hatred or bigotry. It’s open to people of all faiths and none.”

Although Othona is welcoming to visitors, that generosity is not extended to EDF Energy and China General Nuclear Group (CGN), the Franco-Chinese consortium behind the Bradwell B project. “I know this has to be on somebody’s doorstep, but it seems to me that nuclear power isn’t the way to go,” Fox said. “Renewable energy is getting cheaper and there are two wind farms here. This is the driest part of England – you could put a solar farm here.”

Bradwell B was part of David Cameron and George Osborne’s vision of a string of six new nuclear power stations. Hinkley Point C in Somerset is under construction and in December when the government published its energy white paper, it said ministers would reach a decision on “at least one large-scale nuclear project” by 2024.

Although most attention has focused on Sizewell C in Suffolk, Bradwell B could be ready for approval next year. Earlier this month the Environment Agency told CGN that it needed to make at least six changes to the reactor design.

“My view, like a lot of the community, is that we shouldn’t be taking money from the Chinese government,” Fox said, citing the Hong Kong crackdown on opposition politicians and the Chinese government’s genocidal campaign against Uighur Muslims.

Radiation and nuclear waste are other concerns. Further along the Blackwater estuary is Bradwell A, an old Magnox reactor that has been decommissioned.

[…]

Read more.

Posted in *English.

Tagged with , , .

5 Responses

1. veronika says

nuclear which is included in the new renewable energy sector becomes energy that is not affected by the weather and so on like other types of renewable energy. Then, the price of uranium, which is the raw material for nuclear power plants, even though the price is fluctuating, will not affect it.

2. MyBalanceNow says

I like the way you write and share your niche! Very interesting and different! Keep it coming!

3. dark web links says

The popularity of buying items over the internet, especially when it involves shopping for one’s self, has given rise to many fraudulent activities, such as identity theft, which is also involved in buying things on the internet. But, while shopping on the internet, one should be particularly careful, especially when it concerns dealing with companies who are known to sell credit cards over the internet, and the means by which these companies do so. Many people have become victims of these companies selling these cards online, due to the fact that these companies make their products available to be bought online and make their purchases using credit cards, which they charge to customers’ accounts. It is very important, therefore, to learn how to buy credit cards on the dark web in order to protect one’s identity, as well as make sure that one does not become a victim of identity theft. These web sites are not just about purchasing items on the web, but are rather intermediaries between the buyers and sellers of these items.

4. Damage Restoration Baltimore MD says

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

5. express vpn crack says

Express VPN Crack is a popular computer program. The Express VPN 2022 adapts to all your needs. It can include a dumb line about articles as well as any web page. First of all, we need to know what Fast VPN is. express vpn crack