First atomic blast proposed as start of Anthropocene via Nature

For historians, the first atomic bomb blast in 1945 ushered in the nuclear age. But for a group of geologists, the 16 July test near Alamogordo, New Mexico, marks the start of a new unit of geologic time, the Anthropocene epoch.

The term Anthropocene was coined 15 years ago to mean the age of widespread human influence over the planet. Ever since, geologists have debated when people first left a clear mark in the rock record, and whether to enshrine that moment as the start of a formal slice of geological unit. Some researchers have proposed setting the beginning of the Anthropocene — and the end of the current epoch, the Holocene — at the start of the Industrial Revolution, or even further back to the dawn of agriculture. Others look  to the vast expansion in human activity in the second half of the 20th century.

Now a group of international scientists has thrown its weight behind the latter possibility and suggested using the first nuclear blast as a starting point. “It’s a well defined spot in time — it’s a big historical event,” says Jan Zalasiewicz, a stratigrapher at the University of Leicester, UK, and lead author of the paper published this week1.

Zalasiewicz wrote the study with 25 other members of a stratigraphic working group that is exploring whether to formally define the Anthropocene. In their paper, the researchers propose to define the boundary by tracking the presence of radioactive elements that spread around the globe from the first A-bomb test in 1945 and the much larger nuclear blasts that took place over the next decade.

The appearance of these radionuclides, such as long-lived plutonium-239, coincide more or less with many other large-scale changes that humans wrought in the years just following World War II. The mass production of fertilizer doubled the amount of reactive nitrogen in the environment, and the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere started to surge. New forms of plastics went into mass production and spread around the globe, and increasing global commerce carried invasive animal and plant species between continents. And migrations from rural areas to urban centers picked up speed, feeding the growth of megacities. This time has been called the Great Acceleration.

Other researchers argue for a different start of the Anthropocene. Last week, Matt Edgeworth, an archaeologist at the University of Leicester, and five other members of the Anthropocene working group proposed defining that boundary as the transition between natural geological deposits and ones altered by humans, such as layers of pottery-filled debris in archaeological sites or soils that had been plowed for agriculture2.

Continue reading at First atomic blast proposed as start of Anthropocene

Posted in *English | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on First atomic blast proposed as start of Anthropocene via Nature

2 workers die in separate accidents in one day at Japan’s Fukushima plants No. 1 and No. 2 via The Straits Times

TOKYO (AFP) – A worker at Japan’s crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant died on Tuesday after falling into a water tank, the country’s nuclear operator said, the second fatal accident to blight efforts to stabilise the tsunami-battered facility.

[…]

The victim at the crippled Fukushima No. 1 plant, reportedly in his 50s, was inspecting an empty water tank with two other workers when he fell from the top of the 10m container, according to Tepco. The worker was trying to remove the lid of the giant tank by himself when he fell into the unit.

In the unrelated incident at the Fukushima No. 2 plant, which was largely unscathed by the huge natural disaster, a worker died after suffering a severe head injury after being caught in equipment, a Tepco spokesman said.

Posted in *English | Tagged , , , | 1 Comment

東電「作業の手順不十分」=死亡事故相次ぐ-福島原発 via 時事ドットコム

東京電力福島第1、第2原発で作業員の死亡事故が相次いだことを受け、東電の姉川尚史常務は20日、本社で記者会見し「原則として守るべき手順、行動が不十分だった」と陳謝した。両原発とも21日の作業を原則休止し、安全対策などを総点検する。

(略)

姉川常務は、第1原発では汚染水処理や放射性物質の飛散を防ぐ舗装など、現場の安全性を高める作業が多 いと説明。「どう迅速に進めるかという立場で作業する人が多い。善意で作業を進展させようとしたことが災いした」と述べた。

全文は東電「作業の手順不十分」=死亡事故相次ぐ-福島原発 

Posted in *English | Tagged , , , | 1 Comment

Global nuclear decommissioning cost seen underestimated, may spiral via Reuters

(Reuters) – German utility E.ON’s breakup has led to worries that funds set aside for decommissioning reactors will not suffice, but globally the cost of unwinding nuclear is uncertain as estimates range widely.

As ageing first-generation reactors close, the true cost of decommissioning will be crucial for the future of the nuclear industry, already ailing following the 2011 Fukushima disaster and competition from cheap shale gas, falling oil prices and a flood of renewable energy from wind and solar.

The International Energy Agency (IEA) said late last year that almost 200 of the 434 reactors in operation around the globe would be retired by 2040, and estimated the cost of decommissioning them at more than $100 billion.

But many experts view this figure as way too low, because it does not include the cost of nuclear waste disposal and long-term storage and because decommissioning costs – often a decade or more away – vary hugely per reactor and by country.

[…]

“The IEA estimate is, without question, just a figure drawn out of the air. The reality is, the costs are quite phenomenal,” said Paul Dorfman, honorary senior research associate at the Energy Institute, University College London.

The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission estimates that the cost of decommissioning in the United States – which has some 100 reactors – ranges from $300 million to $400 million per reactor, but some reactors might cost much more.

France‘s top public auditor and the nuclear safety authority estimate the country’s decommissioning costs at between 28 billion and 32 billion euros ($32-37 billion).

German utilities – such as E.ON, which last month said it would split in two, spinning off power plants to focus on renewable energy and power grids – have put aside 36 billion euros..

Britain’s bill for decommissioning and waste disposal is now estimated at 110 billion pounds ($167 billion) over the next 100 years, double the 50 billion pound estimate made 10 years ago.

Japanese government estimates put the decommissioning cost of the country’s 48 reactors at around $30 billion, but this is seen as conservative. Russia has 33 reactors and costs are seen ranging from $500 million to $1 billion per reactor.

The IEA’s Baroni said the issue was not the exact cost per reactor.

“What matters is whether enough funds have been set aside to provide for it,” he said.

Read more at Global nuclear decommissioning cost seen underestimated, may spiral 

Related article:

 

Posted in *English | Tagged , , , , , | 1 Comment

福島第一原発でタンクの天板から落下、作業員けが via TBS News

福島第一原発で、雨水をためるタンクの設置作業をしていた作業員が、高さおよそ10メートルのタンクの天板から落ち、けがをしました。

東京電力によりますと、けがをしたのは、雨水をためるタンクの設置作業を行っていた協力企業の50代の男性作業員です。19日午前9時すぎ、タンクの水 漏れの検査をするため10メートルほどの高さの天板にあがっていたところ、誤って落下しました。作業員はいわき市内の病院に搬送されましたが、意識はある ものの動けない状態だということです。

続きと動画は 福島第一原発でタンクの天板から落下、作業員けが 

Posted in *English | Tagged , , | Comments Off on 福島第一原発でタンクの天板から落下、作業員けが via TBS News

搬入先決まらず 森林・ため池汚染廃棄物 中間貯蔵の対象外via 福島民報

 東京電力福島第一原発事故に伴う森林やため池の放射性物質低減事業で発生する汚染土などの搬入先が決まっていない。放射性物質汚染対処特別措置法に基づく除染の廃棄物は中間貯蔵施設に搬入されるが、環境省は除染以外の廃棄物を同法の適用対象外とみなしているためだ。県は「同じ廃棄物なのに区別すべきではない」と搬入を認めるよう求めている。汚染土などの行き先が決まらないことで、現場保管の長期化や仮置き場確保の難航が懸念されている。

■前に進まない
 環境省は「森林全ての面的な除染は困難」「水による放射線の遮蔽(しゃへい)効果でため池周辺の環境に与える影響は小さい」などの理由で、生活空間への影響が大きい場合などを除いては、特措法に基づく除染の対象として認めなかった。
 このため、県は平成25年度から農林水産省の財政支援を受け、間伐などによる「ふくしま森林再生事業」に着手。26年度からは復興庁の福島再生加速化交付金を活用した、ため池の放射性物質対策事業が可能になった。いずれも27年度から事業が本格化する。
 しかし、国直轄除染や国の財政支援による市町村除染とは違い、汚染土などの中間貯蔵施設への搬入が法的に担保されないという課題が残ったままだ。

[…]
 ■早急に道筋を
 県と農水省が実施した、ため池の放射性物質検査では、1940カ所のうち576カ所の底土から1キロ当たり8000ベクレル超の放射性セシウムが検出され、営農再開に向けた障害となっている。
 国は、26年度内に具体的な工法や積算方法を盛り込んだマニュアルを策定する方針だ。ただ、底土の除去や拡散抑制など採用する工法によって発生する汚染土の量は異なり、現場での一時保管や仮置き場への搬入の在り方にも影響するとみられる。
 県農地管理課の野内芳彦課長はため池の汚染土について「(特措法に基づく)除染廃棄物と同様の位置付けになるよう早急に道筋をつけてもらいたい」と訴える。

もっと読む。

Posted in *日本語 | Tagged , , , | 2 Comments

韓日台の若者 韓国で「脱原発」訴え via Chosun Online

【密陽聯合ニュース】韓国、日本、台湾の青年運動家約10人が18日午後、韓国南部の慶尚南道密陽市内で記者会見し、「脱原発」を訴えた。

(略)

韓国政府に対し古里1号機など老朽化した原発の再稼動を進めてはならないと訴えた。

また、2011年3月の東京電力福島第1原発事故後、日本国内の原発が段階的に運転を停止し、現在は全ての原発が稼動していない状況にもかかわらず、安倍内閣が原子力規制委員会の安全審査に合格した原発の再稼動を認める方針を示していることを批判した。

運動家らは「核を制御する唯一の解決策は地球規模で核を廃絶することだ」と訴え、韓国、日本、台湾の若者約600人の署名が入った宣言文を朗読した。

記者会見は今年、広島、長崎への原爆投下から70年を迎えるのに合わせ開かれた。福島原発事故当時に福島に住んでいた日本の大学生も参加した。

全文は韓日台の若者 韓国で「脱原発」訴え

Posted in *English | Tagged , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

U.S. nuclear cleanup specialist goes from Hanford to Fukushima via The News Tribune

[…]

But McCormick, 55, wouldn’t have it any other way: After working at the Hanford nuclear site in Washington state for 12 years, he’s helping to lead the cleanup at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, which melted down in March 2011.

“It’s a personal commitment,” McCormick said in a recent interview at his office in Tokyo’s Shimbashi district. “When the accident happened, it was just a terrible thing. I had a personal connection with the people of Japan. And my heart just went out to them.”

McCormick, whose wife is half Japanese, spends most of his time at the Fukushima plant, “getting my fingernails dirty and actually handling equipment.”

With radiation levels still high, he wears anti-contamination clothing, covering all of his skin. He said he felt well-protected and had no fears for health or safety.

[…]

His wife, Shirley Olinger, is the daughter of a Japanese woman who met and married an American serviceman in the 1950s.

When President Harry Truman bombed Japan in 1945, marking the end of World War II, it killed tens of thousands of people in Nagasaki, the city where McCormick’s mother-in-law was born.

Decades later, McCormick became a top U.S. official in charge of cleaning up the waste at Hanford, the site that produced the plutonium that destroyed Nagasaki. He headed one of the Department of Energy’s two management offices at Hanford.

McCormick retired last June, ending a 32-year career with the federal government.

“It was a good job and good work at Hanford, but it was just time to move on and see what else was in store for me,” he said.

It didn’t take long for McCormick to get an answer: He landed in Tokyo the very next month.

McCormick said he knew his life marked a full circle of sorts, having worked at nuclear sites in both the U.S. and Japan.

And it’s something he thinks about often.

“It’s gratifying and it’s motivating – very much so,” he said.

McCormick made his first trip to Japan in 2008 when he and his wife, who also worked as a manager at Hanford, went to Nagasaki to visit relatives and the Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum.

[…]

As McCormick does his work, he’s avoiding the public debate over whether Japan should restart some of the 48 nuclear plants that were shut down after the Fukushima disaster.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and his administration said it was safe to begin reopening the plants this year, as long as they met higher safety standards put in place as a result of the disaster.

But a recent poll found that most Japanese citizens want the plants to remain closed, fearing another catastrophe.

“We don’t even know the final disposal place of the Fukushima waste. We should discuss this after we decide where to dispose of the waste,” said Hatsuhiko Aoki, an artist from Gifu Prefecture.

Yoshitaka Mukohara, the president of a publishing company and the secretary-general of the Anti-Nuclear Kagoshima Network, said the Abe administration was acting irresponsibly.

“There are some places that are not decontaminated, but the government is sending people back,” Mukohara said. “What they are doing is acting like nothing ever happened.”

Posted in *English | Tagged , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

「ものなくなった」「夜、店でけんか」…福島で治安悪化の不安 全国から作業員、増えるトラブル via 産経ニュース

(抜粋)

■地元住民と摩擦

福島には「復興の仕事」を求め、全国から多くの労働者が集まる。「福島の復興のために働いてくれる真面目な人が大半」(県警関係者)だが、地元住民との摩擦も増えている。

「作業中に屋根など家屋の一部が壊された」「重機で自動車を傷つけられた」「植木鉢が割られた」などの「苦情は多数ある」(福島市の除染推進室)。県の除 染対策課も「トラブルは発注者の市町村と業者間で対応するが、不測の事態はある」と話す。また「他県ナンバーの車が増えて、運転が荒い」「見知らぬ作業員 が敷地に入り、ものがなくなった」という被害届も警察に寄せられた。

26年の刑法犯件数は、1万4317件(前年比279件減)で12年 連続減少したが、昨年1月から11月末に検挙された除染作業員(本人の申し立て)はのべ197人(再逮捕を含む)で、前年同期比で63人増。24年(のべ 26人)に比べて7倍超となった。容疑は窃盗61人、傷害36人、覚せい剤取締法違反22人。県外出身者は65%を占めた。

(略)

除染業者の法令順守意識も問題となっている。労働局の調査でも除染作業を行う660業者のうち、67%超の446業者で賃金未払いや作業現場の放射 線量事前調査を行わないなど法令違反があったと発表。25年6月には18歳未満の少年を雇用し社長が逮捕される事件も起きるなど、トラブルや事件への不安 から除染作業員宿舎建設計画に対する住民の反対も相次いだ。

■暴力団の影

国と市町村合わせ1兆4千億円を超す予算(23~26年度)が投入される除染事業をめぐって、反社会的勢力の介入が顕在化している。25年1月には山形県 警が伊達市の除染作業に無許可派遣の疑いで暴力団幹部を逮捕。この事件では作業員の報酬の3分の1程度が暴力団側に流れ、容疑者は「除染作業は日当が高 く、もうかると思った」と供述した。10月には宮城県警が福島市発注の除染事業現場に作業員を違法派遣したとして元指定暴力団系幹部の男ら5人を逮捕し た。

企業側は「業者との契約では、暴力団を介入させない」としているが、多重下請けの構造と人手不足を背景に、反社会的勢力の入り込む余地を生んでいる。

全文は 「ものなくなった」「夜、店でけんか」…福島で治安悪化の不安 全国から作業員、増えるトラブル 

Posted in *English | Tagged , , | 1 Comment

『チェルノブイリ・ハート』 他人事ではない汚染地域の子どもたちの驚愕の実態 via Health Press

1986年、旧ソ連ウクライナ共和国のチェルノブイリ原子力発電所で起こったメルトダウンと爆発は、大量の放射性物質を放出し、甚大な被害をもたら した。その16年後の2002年、アメリカの映画監督マリアン・デレロは、NGO「チェルノブイリ子どもの国際プロジェクト」代表のエイディ・ロッシュと ともに、原発事故で大きな影響を受けたベラルーシを訪れ、疾患や障害を持つ子どもたちの状況をフィルムに収めた。この作品は翌年のアカデミー賞短編ドキュ メンタリー賞を受賞。日本では、東日本大震災による東京電力福島第一原子力発電所の事故から5ヵ月後の2011年8月に公開された。

心臓疾患、甲状腺がん、水頭症…… 重度の障害児が事故後に急増

タイトルの『チェルノブイリ・ハート』は、原発事故の影響が疑われる重度の先天性心臓疾患を持つ子どもたちのことだ。年間約300人が心臓手術を希望しているが、順番待ちの間に亡くなってしまうこともあるという。

撮影チームは小児病院、甲状腺治療専門病院、小児精神病院、遺棄乳児院などを訪問。心臓疾患だけでなく、甲状腺がん、脊髄損傷、脳性麻痺、知的障 害、水頭症、悪性腫瘍などを持つ子どもたちがスクリーンに映し出される。甲状腺がんを発症するのは、事故当時幼少期や思春期だった子どもが多い。放射性物 質に汚染された食べ物を食べたことが原因といわれている。

多くの障害児が収容されているゴメリ市の遺棄乳児院”ナンバーワン・ホーム”は、原発事故後に作られた施設だ。脳が頭蓋骨に収まらず後頭部が突き 出している子、背中から腎臓が飛び出している子、大きな腫瘍を持つ子。想像を超える重い障害と、”親に捨てられた”という二重の悲劇に見舞われた子どもた ちの小さな姿に胸が詰まる。

「事故の後、病気や障害を持つ子が急増した」と話す病院や施設の関係者。一方ロッシュ自身は、「個々の病状に放射能の影響を特定するのは難しい」としながらも、こう断言する。「それでも間違いなく因果関係はある。しかしそれは実態からしか語れない」

「事故後、障害児の出生率は25倍に膨れ上がった」「健常児が生まれる確率は15%~20%」「ベラルーシの新生児死亡率はほかのヨーロッパ諸国に 比べて3倍である」「ゴメリ地方では甲状腺がんの発生率が1万倍に増加した」という、テロップの文字や医療関係者の言葉はかなり衝撃的だ。実際これらの数 字に疑問を呈する人は多くいるが、残念ながら作品中にこれらを裏付けるデータは示されていない。何らかの根拠の提示があれば、より説得力のある作品になっ たはずだ。

続きは『チェルノブイリ・ハート』 他人事ではない汚染地域の子どもたちの驚愕の実態 

Posted in *English | Tagged , , , , , | 1 Comment