NRA’s probe into Fukushima meltdowns delayed but might resume in fall via Japan Times

A probe by nuclear regulators into the causes of the Fukushima crisis has been hampered by the coronavirus pandemic, with staff dispatches from Tokyo postponed to protect the 4,000 on-site decommissioning workers.

The Nuclear Regulation Authority had resumed its investigation in October, deeming radiation levels in parts of the Fukushima No. 1 power plant low enough to visit, nearly a decade since the triple core meltdown.

After repeated visits, NRA officials succeeded last December in filming scattered debris and a damaged ceiling on the third floor of the No. 3 reactor building, which was gutted by a hydrogen explosion during the crisis following the March 2011 mega-quake and tsunami.

In late March, the watchdog set seven priorities for conducting the probe, including checking radiation levels on the fourth floor of the No. 3 reactor building and contamination levels in reactor building No. 2.

[…]

The NRA originally intended to send staffers to the plant every one or two weeks in April and May, but the plan came to a halt following the state of emergency declaration on April 7, which covered Tokyo and six other prefectures before going nationwide on April 16.

“It would be impermissible should the virus be brought from Tokyo in any case” to the Fukushima complex, NRA Chairman Toyoshi Fuketa said.

The NRA was compelled to cancel trips for the probe because a coronavirus infection at Fukushima No. 1 could bring the decommissioning work to a halt.

Although the declaration was completely lifted on Monday, the NRA fears it will take more time before its staff can enter the defunct plant again.

Further delays in the probe could prevent it from compiling a report on the probe by the end of the year.

“We can’t do it during the summer period,” a senior NRA official said, as it will be impossible to carry out investigations in the summer heat while wearing radiation protection gear.

The NRA is looking to restart trips to the complex in the fall, sources close to the matter said.

Read more.

Posted in *English.

Tagged with , .

20 Responses

1. Bigg Boss 14 says

“Based on existing information, there is no threat to the public from this recent release or from historical groundwater contamination at this secured site as there is no exposure risk to the general public,” DHEC spokesperson Tommy Crosby told The State.

2. dark web links says

But unfortunately, there are people out there who are using this to take advantage of you.

3. CSPO certification says

Thanks for sharing this informative content.,

4. CSPO TRAINING says

amazing content,thanks

5. PRODUCT OWNER CERTIFICATION says

excellent blog,useful

6. CSPO ONLINE TRAINING says

helpful blog,thank you

7. CSPO CERTIFICATION ONLINE says

must read blog,thanks

8. CSPO ONLINE CERTIFICATION says

beautiful information

9. shepherd zayn says

There are common solutions to various Norton not working issues on Windows 10.
    https://www.antivirussupporthelpdesk.com/blog/fix-norton-not-opening-problem/

10. switch audio file converter crack says

Plagiarism Checker X Crack is a simple tool for students, teachers, others who have copied their website owners to check if others have copied their work. According to the developer, his clients include Ohio University, Umass Boston, and Trinity College Dublin. plagiarism checker x crack key, The interface of Checker X is straightforward and clear. plagiarism checker x crack

11. تصليح ثلاجات حولي says

Excellent pieces. Keep writing such kind of information on your
    site. Im really impressed by your site.
    Hello there, You’ve performed an excellent job.
    I’ll certainly digg it and individually recommend to my friends.
    I am sure they will be benefited from this website.

12. 대구출장안마 says

Thanks for posting

13. 서울출장안마 says

Thanks for sharing

14. 부산출장안마 says

Thanking yours

15. 제주출장안마 says

Thank you

16. alat drumband says

I actually wish to read meaningful blogposts from well written websites such as yours.
    I actually strongly assume that your question is some how! Even though, as a blogger, I actually correctly understand why you chose to find out question. I have always said this to my friends not all bloggers are writers! You are a writer and that is why you are considering knowing how subscribers have been able to employ the information they received here. Your articles are good. Your issues are good too. I use long gone through some of them so far. I need to concede, I have gained just one thing. No knowledge is a waste in any way. We learn new things everyday. I actually think I will have to gauge my contents too from my readers soonest. hey, I learnt that a person too! You have made me see another side of a true writer: to be considering how your readers are utilizing your contents. Of which is great. Thank you. Great contents once again. I have a blog too, kindly visit and i also will appreciate it.

17. sagar sapkal says

It provides me great pleasure to reading your posts.