New Nuclear: What’s at Stake for Wildlife? via Greater Manchester Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament

This webinar featured: • Juliet Davenport OBE (founder of Good Energy) • Jonathon Porritt (founder of Forum for the Future) • Diana Quick (actress and Sizewell C campaigner) • Craig Bennett (CEO, The Wildlife Trusts)

WHAT’S IT ABOUT? New nuclear plants in the UK will cause irreparable loss to biodiversity and wild places and harm and destroy the species who depend on these habitats for their survival. The Hinkley C reactors, already under construction on the Somerset coast, are projected to kill billions of fish.

A similar fate awaits ocean life should Sizewell C, a two-reactor project on the Suffolk Coast, move forward. Situated in the most richly biodiverse region of the British Isles, Sizewell C would tear up land adjacent to one of the most precious nature preserves — RSPB Minsmere — home to once rare bird species including the avocet and the bittern.

The proposed new Chinese reactor, at Bradwell in Essex, threatens to damage a fragile estuarine environment that is similarly rich in multiple species, especially bird life.

As we fight to salvage our world from the ravages of the climate crisis, why would we choose to inflict further harm on species already struggling to survive?

Our forum explored what can and must be done to prevent the harm that new nuclear plants would cause. How can we halt the further unnecessary destruction of our last remaining wild spaces? And if we replace nuclear power with renewable energy, have we also adequately addressed the negative impacts of these industries on wildlife?

The event format was an interview-style moderated round table discussion followed by audience questions.

—- This event was organised by Greater Manchester & District CND, Nuclear Free Local Authorities, Beyond Nuclear, and Chernobyl Children’s Project UK.

Posted in *English.

Tagged with , , , .

10 Responses

1. Joni Bautista says

I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post.

2. Kimora Bullock says

Nice blog, bro. Thanks for information.

3. Imani Flores says

This is definitely a fantastic article.

4. Olivia-Mae Flynn says

Hello there, I found your blog by the use of Google while looking for a similar topic, your site got here up, it seems great. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

5. Wasim Jackson says

It is really a nice and helpful piece of info. I guess I am not only one having all the enjoyment right here.

6. فروشگاه اینترنتی لوازم یدکی says

Nice blog, bro. Thanks for information.

7. لوازم یدکی دینا پارت says

I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks for information.

8. قیمت چربی گیر فاضلاب says

very nice post

9. boss matka says

Awesome blog that features articles offering me the intended recipients

10. Nisha knapp says

The quality and quantity of work produced here are absolutely informative. Thanks for sharing. My site:: 사설사이트