What’s Victor Friedman been up to?
Here is a list of recent activity by Victor Friedman, Professor of Balkan and Slavic linguistics, who is in Skopje this year on Guggenheim & Fulbright-Hays grants:
Invited talks and conference papers (June-December 2008):
- Evidentiality in the Balkans, Caucasus, and Central Asia, Scuola Normale Superiore, University of Pisa, 16 june 2008.
- Balkan Slavic Dialectology and Balkan Linguistics: Peripheryas Center. Fourteenth International Congress of Slavists, Ohrid, Republic of Macedonia 10-16 September 2008.
- Promotion speech for The Konikovo Evangelie Fourteenth International Congress of Slavists, Ohrid, Republic of Macedonia 10-16 September 2008.
- Evidencijalnost vo makedonskiot jazik [Evidentiality in Macedonian], Macedonian Academy of Arts and Sciences, Skopje,Republic of Macedonia, 8 October 2008.
- Macedonian Identity in Ottoman Turkey: Views from within and Without, ‘Macedonian Identity through History’, Institute for National History, 60th Anniversary Conference, Skopje, Republic of Macedonia 10-12 October 2008.
- Evidencijalnost vo bugarskiot, turskiot i albanskiot jazik [Evidentiality in Bulgarian, Turkish, and Albanian], Macedonian Academy of Arts and Sciences, Skopje, Republic of Macedonia,15 October 2008.
- Evidencijalnost vo megleno-romanskiot i aromanskiot jazik [Evidentiality in Megleno-Romanian and Aromanian], Macedonian Academy of Arts and Sciences, Skopje, Republic of Macedonia, 15 October 2008.
- Mnogojazičnosta vo Makedonija [Multilingualism in Macedonia], lecture for high school honors students from the Municipality of Ohrid, sponsored by the Ohrid Municipality, Ohrid, Republic of Macedonia 3 November 2008.
- Shumëgjuhësia në Maqedoni nga pikëpamje historike edhe sot [Albanian: Multilingualism in Macedonia in History and Today]. Roundtable “Linguistic Difference, from Communication to Tolerance and Solidarity: The Role of Local Administration in the Development of Linguistic Difference.” Institute for Political and Intercultural Studies, Skopje, Republic of Macedonia, 19 November 2008.
- Kongresi i Manastirit dhe Linguistika Ballkanike [Albanian: The Congress of Manastir and Balkan Linguistics], Conference for the 100th Anniversary of the Congress of Manastir, Skopje, Republic of Macedonia, 20-22 November 2008.
- Intersections between Linguistic and Ethnomusicological Fieldwork, Conference “From the Field to the Concert”, University of Bologna, Italy 4-7 December 2008.
- Studime për Gjuhën shqipe dhe gjuhë të tjera balkanike [Studies in Albanian and Other Balkan Languages]; International Symposium Vepra Themeore ne Albanaologji – Çmimi i Albanologjisë 2008, Center for Albanology, Tirana 18-20 December 2008.
Publications – Articles:
- The Konikovo Evangelarium and Macedonian Identity in the Late Eighteenth and Early Nineteenth Centuries. The Konikovo Gospel, ed. by J. Lindstedt, Lj. Spasov, and J. Nuorluoto. Helsinki: Societas Scientiarum Fennica. 2008. 385-391.
- Balkan Slavic Dialectology and Balkan Linguistics: Periphery as Center. American Contributions to the Fourteenth International Congress of Slavists. ed. by Christina Bethin. Bloomington, IN: Slavica. 2008. 131-148.
- Entries for Zbigniew Golab and Victor Friedman. Leksikon na stranski makedonisti, ed. by Ivan Dorovski and Emilija Crvenkovska, Skopje: University of Skopje. 2008. 26-28, 117-120.
- Kulturno-Jazičnite pojavi kaj Ǵorǵi Pulevski (Macedonian: Cultural-linguistic phenomena in the work of Ǵorǵi Pulevski). Thirty-Fourth Annual Symposium on Balkan Linguistics and Literature. Skopje: University of Skopje. 2008. 15-20