Administratively Yours: A Pre-Quarter Checklist

Welcome to your MAPH year! As you all know, Core starts for us two weeks before most of the rest of campus digs into the fall quarter and things get seriously busy in Hyde Park. I know Core keeps everyone busy, but you might want to try to use these two weeks on campus to get some of your administrative running around done. Here’s a checklist of some of the stuff MAPH and the U of C want you to take care of ASAP.

  • Turn in your vaccination forms: The University’s vaccination forms must be turned in by September 29th to prove that you’re in compliance with the immunization standards. More information can be found HERE. If you don’t get these in, you run the risk of snarky emails and registration and other restrictions.
  • Turn in your Student Health Insurance Forms or Sign up for University Insurance: the University requires that each of its students has a University-standard health insurance policy and you have to be able to prove it by October 10th. If you don’t have health insurance, you will be required to pay for the University’s student health insurance plan each quarter. The forms and more information for all of this stuff can be found HERE. (And a quick note: if you’re on an insurance plan that’s not through the University and you haven’t turned in proof of insurance by the time the fall quarter university bills go out, you’ll see a charge for insurance coverage through the University. Don’t worry about this; if you submit the proof of insurance by the deadline, they drop the charges or refund the fee.)
  • Bills and such: shortly after registration, you’ll get a fun letter in the mail from the Bursar’s office saying that you owe them a dangerous amount of money. If you’re taking out loans this year to cover costs, the Student Loan Administration is HERE. Other money administrative stuff can be found at the Office of the Bursar’s Website.
  • Start thinking about class registration for all quarter. This isn’t an emergency or anything, but registration for fall quarter begins Monday, September 22. This means that you should probably start browsing through Time Schedules of Courses to figure out what you want to take. Additional information and more elaborate course descriptions can probably be found through individual department websites. For the lowdown on how registration works, check out Braden’s piece on the MAPH website (Coming soon) and keep an eye out for registration-related emails
  • Get your student ID card. This can be done at the ID and Privileges Office located in 100F in the front lobby of the Regenstein Library. For more information about what you need in order to get your Student ID card, check out the website HERE. Your student ID card gives you access to the library and the gyms, and you can ride the 170, 171, and 172 campus CTA buses for free if you flash it when you get on. Check out those routes and others HERE.
  • Say hello to Cmore: Cmore is the University’s central database for your information. Check it out, bookmark it, update your information. A lot of administrative stuff you’ll have to deal with throughout the course of the year can be found on the site.
  • This isn’t pressing, but while we’re linking you to helpful websites, you can check out the Professional and Graduate Student Gateway, located HERE.
  • If you’re looking for campus information, the FIND IT program is pretty helpful. And a lot of miscellaneous questions can be answered HERE.

I’m sure there’s tons of stuff I’m forgetting, so if you think of something, or if you have questions, please post them below and I’ll see what I can do to help out.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *