Chicago boasts a wide array of accommodations for all tastes and budgets. The University of Chicago is located in the Hyde Park neighborhood on the city’s South Side. There are several options within walking distance of the University and all colloquium activities:
In Hyde Park
* Wooded Isle Suites: A fine place of lodging, within walking distance of the University. $120+.
* Hutchins House Bed and Breakfast, 4810 S. Ellis Ave., 773-548-5534, firstname.lastname@example.org
* Kimbark Bed & Breakfast, 4837 S. Kimbark Ave. 773-548-5274
* UC International House: Budget-minded travelers, those who want to be right in the middle of the action, or those who want the opportunity to mingle with a cross-section of Chicago’s graduate student body will appreciate the convenience and culture of I-House, as it’s colloquially known. Rooms go for $50 and up, starting with single rooms with shared bathrooms ranging to suites.
* Ramada Inn Lake Shore: A long walk or short cab or bus ride gets you from the Ramada to campus. Generally has an unsavory reputation around Hyde Park among students, staff, and faculty. Keep it in mind if you need an inexpensive room.
* McCormick Seminary guest housing (scroll to bottom of the page): Mostly private rooms with shared bathrooms, kitchens, and common areas that are available for short-term guests. The cost for a guest room is $50 per night per person; $90 per couple/shared. Please click here to download a Word document with more information.
* University Quarters Bed and Breakfast: New bed and breakfast on the other side of the Midway. Two rooms share a bathroom and one room has a private bath. Owners are very friendly and the facilities are very tastefully decorated. Includes library space with books, large television in living room/kitchen space, and free wireless internet.
In the City
* Hyatt Regency McCormick Place: A good compromise between Hyde Park and downtown, this hotel is minutes from each, and a discount will be given for University guests.
* Other Hotels with Discounts: If you don’t mind dropping names, here’s a list of hotels that offer discounts for University guests. Just let ‘em know who sent you.