Remember, we’ll feed you breakfast and lunch Sunday and Monday (so do register, please!) and snacks and coffee will be available throughout the day. And we would love to have everyone in attendance at the banquet on Sunday.
A complete list of on-campus eateries can be found here. Most are student-run and feature coffee, other staples, and entrees delivered by local restaurants.
For the best coffee and best prices, try the basement-level Divinity School Cafe (”Where God Drinks Coffee”) in Swift Hall. Hutchinson Court in the Reynolds Club offers the widest selection of more generic fast food options.
In Hyde Park
A comprehensive survey of Hyde Park cuisine is available here. Some organizer favorites include:
* The Woodlawn Tap: “Jimmy’s,” to those in the know, which is just about everyone in Hyde Park. Does your neighborhood pub keep a copy of the Encyclopedia Britannica behind the bar? If so, you’ll feel right at home. Frosty drafts and fried favorites are the fare. Recently described as “Chicago’s brainiest dive bar.”
* The Pub: Located in the basement of Ida Noyes, this is the official University watering hole. Good selection of beers on tap, and $1 Huber Bock for the discerning cheapskate. A variety of pub-style foods are on offer, including veggie options. Shuffleboard, darts and pool round out the facilities.
* The Medici on 57th: A stone’s throw from campus, “The Med” dishes out cheap, eager-to-please American Italian fare in a homey, low-key setting. Large groups are accommodated. BYOB.
* La Petite Folie, 1504 East 55th Street: Pleasing French cuisine of a quality that belies its strip-mall milieu. Full bar and well-regarded cellar. Lunch prices are a steal.
* Nile Restaurant, 1611 East 55th Street: The fluffiest pita and the crispiest falafel in town, in quantity, for a song.
In the City
We don’t have space here to even scratch the surface. Ask one of the organizers if you are looking for something in particular, or visit Metromix for comprehensive listings of Chicago eateries. Pizza Doc is a favorite for Italian Italian, including superb wood-fired pizza. For a great Northern Thai experience, try Sticky Rice.