The Regional Director is responsible for expanding and maintaining American Councils presence and infrastructure in Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Croatia and Serbia. In addition to coordinating all current American Councils programmatic activity in the region, the incumbent will establish and maintain American Councils for International Education: ACTR/ACCELS organizational relations, oversee internal operations, and provide overall supervision of American Councils programs. In this capacity, the Regional Director position reports to the Washington-based Managing Director for Field Operations and Programs, and works closely with the Washington-based Program Managers and the Director of Program Development. The position is stationed in Belgrade, Serbia
* Maintains American Councils organizational relations in the host country with relevant funding agencies, government offices, institutions and foundations (Embassies, USAID, World Bank, etc.); with national government and private institutions (government ministries, agencies and offices; national corporations; American Councils’ institutional partners); with the in-country offices of American organizations and foundations; and, with the international and domestic press;
* Administers youth, undergraduate and graduate student exchanges as well as faculty and professional training programs. Responsibilities include but are not limited to promotion of programs; recruitment, selection, and interviewing of candidates; pre-departure orientations; English-language program; staff training as necessary; and alumni activities;
* Responsible for actively seeking out and implementing growth and development activities throughout the region which support the organization’s mission, including fund-raising activity and managing external relations;
* Oversees American Councils internal operations in region; coordinates the activities of program staff; and advises staff on American Councils policies and employment matters regarding local national employees;
* Communicates regularly with, and makes recommendations to the Washington- based Managing Director for Field Operations and Programs and relevant Program Managers and senior staff on general program matters, on perceptions of American Councils programs and on the influence of local conditions on the organization’s programs in the host countries;
* Provides coordination among American Councils offices in South-Eastern Europe and acoss program lines, Manages all general office administrative matters such as negotiating contracts; interacting with landlords, etc.
* Bachelor’s degree (graduate degree preferred) — related to region in: economics, international education or development, history, Balkan languages, or a related area;
* Professional-level program management experience;
* Experience identifying and developing new programming and fundraising opportunities;
* Knowledge of and experience with major funding sources in region (including USAID, World Bank, major corporations and foundations, etc.);
* Overseas work/living experience, preferably in the applicable region; demonstrated interest in the applicable region;
* Supervisory experience; experience supervising local national staff preferred;
* Cross-cultural skills;
* Strong written and oral communication skills: English (obligatory), Serbian/Bosnian/Croatian, Macedonian and/or Albanian (desired); and
* U.S. citizenship required.
Select this link and follow the prompts: https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=584011
Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer.
American Councils improves education at home and abroad through the support of international research, the design of innovative programs, and the exchange of students, scholars, and professionals around the world. American Councils employs a full-time professional staff of over 370, located in the U.S. and in 40 cities in 24 countries of Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Asia and the Middle East.