UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS is seeking a TURKISH LECTURER
DEPARTMENT: Center for Russian, East European & Eurasian Studies
TYPE OF APPOINTMENT: 9-month, non-tenure track position (renewable), half-time (20 hours/week)
SALARY: $20,000 & benefits
START DATE: August 18, 2012
· Teach two undergraduate courses per semester in first and second-year Turkish
· Prepare for and attend all class meetings. In case of absence, the lecturer must make arrangements for a substitute.
· Develop assignments, administer tests, evaluate student work, provide feedback to students, and assign grades.
· Hold regular office hours for students involved in classes taught. A minimum of three posted office hours each week is required. These office hours should be divided over at least two and preferably three different days. The lecturer should be available for reasonable appointments if a student cannot meet during scheduled office hours.
· Assess student language proficiency as required.
· Adhere to departmental, college and university policies and attend departmental meetings.
Native or near-native fluency in Turkish, at least at the ACTFL superior level.
BA in Turkish language and literature, Turkish studies or a field related to foreign language pedagogy.
Near-native fluency in English.
Ability to teach Turkish effectively at the undergraduate level, as demonstrated by previous professional experience and/or professional training.
5. Appropriate work authorization for employment in the United States.
1. PhD or A.B.D. in a field related to language instruction (i.e., Turkish language and literature, linguistics, etc.)
2. Degree in TESL
3. Experience teaching Turkish or other languages to non-native speakers in a US college or university.
4. Evidence or testimony regarding excellent teaching ability at the University level.
5. Interest and ability to develop 3rd-year Turkish language.
6. Interest and ability to develop literature and culture course.
7. Interest and experience in on-line language instruction.
DEADLINE: We will start reviewing applications July 16, 2012, but will accept applications until the position is filled.
A complete application consists of completion of the on-line form at https://jobs.ku.edu see position # 00002342, cover letter, cv, list of references, teaching statement and sample course syllabi. Please note that these materials should be uploaded directly to the KU job site.
The University of Kansas is an EO/AA employer.