The School of Literatures, Cultures and Linguistics at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign invites applications for Director of its Foreign Language Teacher Education Program, with a target start date of August 16, 2012.
1. Provide leadership for the Foreign Language Teacher Education (FLTE) program, including budgetary oversight. Coordinate staffing and delivery of the professional education course sequence, early field placement, and student teaching. The Director’s teaching load is one course each semester.
2. Coordinate clinical experiences placement. Provide information to student candidates on current program requirements. Assure that candidates are placed in diverse clinical settings. Monitor and assess candidates. Supervise the university clinical experiences supervisors. Coordinate efforts of cooperative personnel and clinical sites.
3. Work collaboratively with departments and college units to ensure that all professional, state, and institutional standards are met and assessed. Monitor program curricula. Assist in the development of criteria for admission and retention of students.
4. Coordinate efforts to assure compliance with Illinois State Board of Education standards through cooperation with the Council on Teacher Education, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
5. Engage in Program development and marketing, including expansion of Program to include certification in ESL and critical but Less-Commonly-Taught languages.
The Director is a full-time academic professional position. Criteria for selection will include experience in and commitment to teacher education, leadership experience, knowledge of research and program effectiveness in teacher education, and advising/mentoring experience. Minimum qualifications include a bachelor’s degree in a foreign language and a Master’s degree in education or in a foreign language. Applicants with a Ph.D. in education or in a foreign language will be given preference, as will applicants with experience with foreign language teaching at the pre-college level who have earned foreign language teacher certification.
To apply, create your candidate profile through the University of Illinois application login page at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your application materials: letter of application, vitae, statement of teaching philosophy, and names and contact information for three professional references. Referees will be contacted electronically upon submission of the application. Only electronic applications submitted through https://jobs.illinois.edu will be accepted.
To ensure full consideration, all required materials, including letters of recommendation, must be received no later than April 27, 2012.
Salary competitive and commensurate with experience.
Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date.
For further information, contact Search Committee for the Director, Foreign Language Teacher Education Program, c/o email@example.com.
Illinois is an Affirmative Action /Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. (www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu ).