DIRECTOR, Language Learning Center (LLC), College of Languages, Linguistics,
and Literature (LLL), University of Hawai’i at Manoa (position #82463),
full-time, 11-month tenure-track faculty position, rank S3, pending position
clearance and availability of funds, to begin August 1, 2012, or as soon as
possible thereafter. Rank S3 corresponds to assistant professor. The LLC
advances the use of technology in language teaching and learning. The LLC’s
facilties include open computer labs, technology-equipped classrooms, audio and
video production and teleconferencing facilities, and file and web servers. The
staff includes information technology personnel, video and educational
specialists, and graduate and undergraduate student assistants. The Director
reports to the Dean of the College and is responsible for overall direction of
the LLC. The faculty position is tenure-track; the position of Director is for
a three-year renewable term.
-As assigned, serve as Director of the Language Learning Center (LLC):
* Oversee the operations of the LLC, including budget, facilities, and
* Secure, allocate and manage fiscal and human resources to fulfill
* Pursue grant writing and fundraising initiatives.
* Lead the college in setting policy for the integration of technology in
language teaching and learning, taking into account new developments
and pedagogical best practices in online learning, mobile
technologies, cloud computing, server technologies, social media, etc.
* Promote cooperative efforts across departments in the College that
advance the mission of the LLC, including teacher training and
* Facilitate multimedia-based materials development projects.
* Collaborate with the National Foreign Language Resource Center.
-As a faculty member:
* Teach graduate and undergraduate courses as assigned, in area of
* Supervise graduate and undergraduate students.
* Pursue a program of scholarship and service to the University and the
Doctoral degree in relevant field; record of experience in relevant positions
including teaching/training, scholarship, and administration. Ability to work
effectively with faculty, staff, administrators and students in a large and
diverse college; successful record in obtaining external grants. Expertise in
language teaching-related IT applications.
SALARY: Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Submit a hard copy of CV, a cover letter, and names and contact information of
three references to:
Language Learning Center
Attn: Daniel Tom
1890 East-West Rd, Moore Hall 256
University of Hawaii at Manoa
Honolulu, HI 96822
CLOSING DATE: January 31, 2012
The University of Hawai’i is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
institution. UH does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion,
sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or veteran