CALL FOR PAPERS
The Third International Conference on Islam
“Islam and Democracy”
April 13-14, 2012
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Abstract submission deadline: November 30, 2011
The Third International Conference on Islam will be held at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, Wisconsin, USA, on April 13-14, 2012. The objective of the conference is to create an environment for the discussion of different aspects of Islam in an academic setting and in a non-speculative way. The conference will serve the purpose of bringing together academics, scholars and researchers interested in different aspects of Islam, and will provide an opportunity to share new findings, approaches and research on Islam. Selected papers from the conference will be published as a book.
Keynote Speaker: Seyyed Hossein Nasr, The George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
Theme: The theme of this year’s conference will be “Islam and Democracy”.
Scope: Topics of interest include but are not limited to the following:
· Islamic Theological Perspectives on Democracy
· Islam, Liberalism, and Pluralism
· Islam, Secularism, and the State
· Islam and Nationalism
· Muslim Women and Democracy
· Islam and Democracy in the Middle East
· Islam and Democracy in Central Asia
· Islam and Democracy in Europe
· Islam and Democracy: Turkey Model
· Arab Spring
· Call for Papers: October 3, 2011
· Abstract submission deadline: November 30, 2011
· Conference registration starts: January 1, 2012
· Publication of program: March 1, 2012
· Paper submission deadline: March 23, 2012
· Registration deadline: April 1, 2012
· Conference: April 13-14, 2012
If you are interested in giving a talk at the International Conference on Islam, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
· Your full name, institutional affiliation and contact information
· 1 page CV/Bio
· The title of your presentation and a 300-word abstract
The submissions will be peer reviewed and accepted abstracts will be published in the proceedings of the conference. The file format should be *.pdf, *.doc, or *.txt.
Each participant must register by April 1st, 2012. The registration fee is US $20 for regular participants; there is no fee for UW-Madison students with valid identification. The registration fee covers the expenses for reception and relevant materials (e.g., program, proceedings). For registration, please visit www.islamconference.org. For all questions regarding the conference, please check www.islamconference.org or contact email@example.com.
The conference will be held at the Union South on the University of Wisconsin-Madison Campus. For the full address and directions, check http://www.union.wisc.edu/visit-unionsouth.htm
You can stay at the Wisconsin Union Hotel located in Union South where the conference will be held. Here are some other suggestions for other places to stay in Madison: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/hotels.html
For more information on the conference please check www.islamconference.org, or send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org