2011/2012 – Call for Application.
For more information on this and other fellowships please visit IWM website.
The Paul Celan Fellowship Program of IWM and ERSTE Foundation aims to help overcome deficits and asymmetries in the exchange of ideas and reception of scholarly literature which result from the division of Europe in the 20th century.
Therefore, the Paul Celan Fellowships support East-West, West-East and East-East translations of canonical texts as well as contemporary key works in the Humanities, Social Sciences and in the field of Cultural Studies. Special emphasis is put on translations of relevant works written by East European authors and/or by female scholars. A thematic relation to one of the IWM ’s research fields is likewise welcomed.
Please note that no applications for works of fiction and poetry are being accepted.
Paul Celan Visiting Fellows are invited to spend three to six months at the IWM between July 2011 and June 2012 to pursue their translation projects while working in residence at the Institute. Fellows receive a monthly stipend in the amount of EUR 2,250 to cover all expenses related to the stay in Vienna. The IWM provides a personal office with internet access, in-house research facilities and other relevant sources in Vienna. Paul Celan Visiting Fellows participate in the scholarly community and activities of the IWM.
The application consists of (in English or German):
- the application form (please download)
- a curriculum vitae with a bibliography of translations and other relevant publications
- the name of the author and the work to be translated (from the original language) and an explanation for the choice thereof
- the exact number of pages
- a contract or a letter of intent from a publisher
- proof that the translator/publisher holds the rights to the translation and its publication (or has an option for them)
- the planned date of publication
- information on the program of the publishing house
For further details please see:
Deadline for application is February 11, 2011.
Please send the application by mail to:
Institut für die Wissenschaften vom Menschen
Spittelauer Lände 3
Advance copies by e-mail are accepted:
Subject header: Paul Celan Fellowships
Please send your application materials as PDF files.
Applicants will be notified of the jury decision in spring 2011.
The jury is not required to justify its decisions.