Karlos Arregi has been named an associate editor of the flagship journal of the LSA, Language. Congratulations, Karlos!
Archive for the ‘faculty’ Category
Rebekah Baglini and Itamar Francez presented at WCCFL 31 recently:
- Rebekah Baglini. Deriving target and resultant states
- Rebekah Baglini and Itamar Francez. The implications of managing
Our alum, Mitcho Erlewine (B.A./M.A. 2007) was there as well!
Several Chicago linguists are presenting at the 39th annual meeting of the Berkeley Linguistics Society. Congratulations to all!
- Dorothea Hoffmann: Mapping words and mapping worlds: Frames of Reference in MalakMalak
- Martina Martinovic: The topic-comment structure in copular sentences: evidence from Wolof
- Chieu Nguyen: Quantification in the left periphery: the duality of universal quantification and contrastive focus in Vietnamese
- Seyda Özçalıskan & Susan Goldin- Meadow: How speaking shapes the native language of gesture in describing motion
Diane Brentari has been awarded a five-year grant by the National Science Foundation for her project “The Typology of Handshape: Gesture, Homesign, and Sign Language“.
Chris Kennedy and Ming Xiang have been awarded a three-year grant by the NSF for their project “Meaning in Context“.
The University of Chicago has another great showing at the annual meeting of the LSA (Boston) this year! The following papers were presented:
- Bert Vaux, Neil Myler, and Karlos Arregi: Number marking in Western Armenian: a non-argument for outwardly-sensitive phonologically conditioned allomorphy
- Rebekah Baglini: The lexical semantics of derived states (Poster)
- Rebekah Baglini, Lenore Grenoble, and Martina Martinovic: Wild sounds: extragrammatical communication in Wolof
- Rebekah Baglini and Itamar Francez: The implications of managing (Poster)
- Andrea Beltrama: From tall-issimo to game-issimo: subjectification and intensification in diachrony
- Iris Berent and Diane Brentari: Amodal aspects of linguistic design
- Sam Bowman (B.A. 2010): Seto vowel harmony and neutral vowels (Poster)
- Shira Calamaro (B.A. 2009): Computing general rules over unnatural classes
- Matthew Carlson and Morgan Sonderegger (Ph.D. 2012): The impact of phonological network structure on children’s word learning: A survival analysis
- Mitcho Erlewine (B.A./M.A. 2007): Domain Readings of Japanese Head Internal Relative Clauses (Poster)
- Mitcho Erlewine (B.A./M.A. 2007): Locality restrictions on syntactic extraction: the case (but not Case) of Kaqchikel Agent Focus
- Mitcho Erlewine (B.A./M.A. 2007) and Kotek Hadas: Intervention effects and covert pied-piping in English multiple questions (Poster)
- Lelia Glass (B.A. 2011): Deriving Indiretness for Epistemic MUST
- Pete Klecha: Modifiers of Modal Auxiliaries and Scalar Modality (Poster)
- Jackson Lee: NP ellipsis may not be licensed non-locally (Poster)
- Chieu Nguyen: Left dislocation in Vietnamese universal quantification and contrastive focus
- Mike Pham: Class(ifier) mobility: emergence of classifiers from compounds
- John Sylak (B.A. 2008): The Phonetic Properties of Voiced Stops Descended from Nasals in Ditidaht
- Jason Riggle and Eric Hallman: Identifying individual style and style shifting on reality television with maximum entropy models
- Alan Yu and Ian Calloway: Coarticulation is mediated by “autistic traits” in neurotypicals