Jesse Harris (BA/MA 2002) joins the Department of Linguistics and Cognitive Science at Pomona College as an assistant professor this year. Congratulations, Jesse!
Archive for the ‘alumni’ Category
Several Chicago linguists will be presenting at WCCFL 30 at UC Santa Cruz!
- Peter Alrenga (former post doc, now at Boston University), Chris Kennedy, and Jason Merchant: A New Standard of Comparison
- Jesse Harris (BA/MA 2003, now Assistant Professor of Linguistics at Pomona College)On the Semantics of Domain Adjectives in English
- Steve Sanpietro, Ming Xiang, Jason Merchant: Syntax, Semantics, and Discourse in Ellipsis: Accounting for Voice Mismatch
Great job y’all!
Several Chicago linguists will be heading to Ohio State in March to present at the Workshop on Innovations in Cantonese Linguistics:
- Jackson Lee: Representation of contour tone in Cantonese
- Holman Tse (MA, 2007): Lexical tone effects on voice onset time in Cantonese
Alan Yu is one of the invited speakers. His talk is titled “Determinants of Cantonese syllable wellformedness.”
Rebekah Baglini and Michael Erlewine (BA, MA, 2007) will present at the 35th GLOW Colloquium to be held on March 28-30, 2012, at the University of Potsdam.
- Rebekah Baglini: Reduced clausal structure in comparatives: Evidence from Wolof
- Michael Yoshitaka Erlewine: Association with traces and thecopy theory of movement
On Feb 11-12, several U of C linguists will be presenting at BLS 38:
- Rebekah Baglini: Reduced clausal structure in comparatives: evidence from Wolof
- Andrew Dombrowski: Multiple relative marking in 19th century West Rumelian Turkish
- Matthew Faytak (BA, 2011): Logical sonority scales and turbulence in fricative-vowel languages
- Jackson Lee: The representation of contour tones in Cantonese
In addition to these student presenters, our very own Victor Friedman is one of the invited speakers. His talk is titled “Languages are Wealth: The Sprachbund as Linguistic Capital”.