Greetings from the archives!

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

Welcome to the next phase of the “Art of a Community Speaks” blog. I will be contributing to the ongoing research into the South Side Community Art Center’s art collection, the people who have passed through its doors, and the historic building by sharing stories from my research in the archives. As a graduate student in art history at UIC and long-time Chicago resident, I am thrilled to be a part of this project. SSCAC’s continuing history of exhibiting Chicago artists, hosting performances, and offering art classes to the community has ensured its place among Chicago’s great cultural institutions. Check back for updates as I share what I find!

Best wishes,
Marissa

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Greetings from the archives!

1. Marissa a belated thank you (2 years late) for your brilliant article ” 1978 Art Theft At The South side Art Center”. You are a truly a historical art treasure for artists like myself and others. I just turned 66 on Jan 2 2015—- your article has certainly sealed my legacy at SSCAC.
    I have also wrote BODYSLICK a sci-fi novel pub in 2008 by VIBE/Kensington in New York; Being and Homelessness: Notes from an Underground Artist in 2012 pub By Wordsworth Press in CT ( I was a homeless artist in Chicago years ago. The book is an existential account of that wretched episode). In 2013 I created the illustrations for “Hannibal The Great” a graphic novel screenplay written by Ken Sabanda ( hopefully one day an epic movie about the great African General from Carthage).
    Marissa I think you will find my art quite eclectic and you can read reviews about my books at Amazon.com.
    Artist/author
    John H Sibley
    773-419-0230