The following resources for copyright-free or copyright-lenient images. Most image sites include both high and low resolution images, with high quality TIFFs available upon request. Please note that each resource/institution may have specific requirements for attribution or limits on print runs. When in doubt, contact the institution before using the images in your publication.
Do you know of additional resources that we should add? Contact us!
General Resources and Guides
- University of Chicago Library’s Guide to Copyright-free and Copyright-lenient Images
- Bielstein, Susan M. Permissions, a Survival Guide: Blunt Talk about Art as Intellectual Property [e-book]. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2006.
- European Public Domain Calculator
- Copyright Term and Public Domain in the United States
- Digital Image Rights Computator
- Visual Resources Association Statement on The Fair Use of Images for Teaching, Research, and Study
- College Art Association: Intellectual Property and the Arts
- Digital Copyright Slider from the ALA’s Office for Information Technology
- Columbia University Libraries/Information Services: What is Fair Use?
Online Image Resources
- ARTstor Images for Academic Publishing
- Amsterdam Rijksmuseum (see English language ICONCLASS catalog)
- The British Museum
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA)
- National Gallery of Art
- UK National Portrait Gallery
- Victoria & Albert Museum
- Walters Art Museum
- Yale Center for British Art
- Yale University Art Gallery
Image Resources by Subject
- University of Michigan: Historic Illustrations of Art and Architecture
- Lawrence University: Art of the Poster 1880-1918
- Minneapolis College of Art and Design: Original Illustration Portfolios
- James Madison University: Battles and Leaders of the Civil War (use Guest Login)
- Index of Christian Art: Romanesque
- Index of Christian Art: Lois Drewer Database
- International Society for the Study of Pilgrimage Art: Peregrinations Photo-bank
Royalty-Free Images (One-time Fee)