Workshop on Sound Change Actuation
April 17-18, 2013
University of Chicago
The workshop will consist of four theme panels targeting the perceptual, articulatory, socio-indexical and computation aspects of the actuation problem in sound change. The invited speakers and discussants are:
Panels (Speaker; Discussant):
- Perceptual factors in sound change actuation: Cynthia Clopper (Ohio State); Pam Beddor (Michigan)
- Articulatory factors in sound change actuation: Bryan Gick (British Columbia); Jeff Mielke (Ottawa/NCSU)
- Socio-indexical factors in sound change actuation: Rob Podesva (Stanford); Jane Stuart-Smith (Glasgow)
- Computational modeling of sound change actuation: Janet Pierrehumbert (Northwestern); Morgan Sonderegger (McGill)/James Kirby(Edinburgh)
We invite papers any of the above aspects of the problem of actuation. Contributions are strongly encouraged, but not restricted, to address the following question:
- What role does human agency have on the initiation and propagation of sound change?
- How much control and free choice does a person have on which linguistic variants to use and which to reject?
- To what extent is sound change influenced by innate neuro-cognitive factors?
- How should individual-level effects on language be modeled within grammatical frameworks that assume the universality of linguistic abilities?
A selection of the workshop presentation will be collected for a special issue of a journal.
- We invited oral presentations and posters.
- Abstracts should be no longer than two pages (12pt font) with at least 1 inch margins.
- Talks will be 20 minutes with 10 minutes of discussion.
- Abstracts should be emailed as an attachment (pdf format) to email@example.com.
- No later than midnight, January 15, 2013.
- Authors should include title of the paper, name of the author(s) and affiliation in the body of the e-mail.
Important Dates and Information:
- January 15, 2013: Deadline for abstract submission
- February 1, 2013: Notification of acceptance
- March 1, 2013: Submission of a long-form abstract (4-6 US letter-sized pages, including examples, figures, and references) from oral presenters.
- April 17-18, 2013: Workshop on Sound Change Actuation
- April 18-20, 2013: the 49th annual meeting of the Chicago Linguistics Society