Good question! An externship is a day-long opportunity for you to interact with a MAPH alum at their “Workplace.” Many of the opportunities are being hosted by MAPH alumni.
- Why should I do an externship? Externships are great ways to build up your network. The MAPH alums who volunteered to host have interesting positions at some of the most prominent corporate and non-profit institutions in the city. You’ll get to meet some of the folks that they work with, ask questions, and essentially get a glimpse of the day-to-day operations.
- What do I do during the externship day? It’s really up to you and your host. But make sure that you come prepared with questions and an understanding of the organization. Do your homework beforehand. This is an opportunity for you to learn about a specific company and its place in the context of a wider industry.
- What about my thesis? You can work on your thesis when you get home. The promise of having a good job after you finish MAPH will make it easier for you to work hard after the day is over. That is, you’ll have a reason to FINISH the stupid thing.
- Will it be fun? Yes! It will. And also, probably, interesting. Most of all, it will be useful. You will have the incentive to work on your resume, cover letter, and interview skills. And you’ll have the chance to get into a corporate/non-profit environment for a day. It’s a win, win, win.
- Can I put an externship on my resume if I get one? Noooow you’re talkin. You betcha.
- How do I apply? Email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Lesley Lundeen (email@example.com) to get started on the process. You’ll need a resume and cover letter, which you should be honing this time of year anyway. Think of it this way: this is an opportunity to interview in-house for a “position” where you know that your “boss” will be excited to work with you for the day.