Feldman, Martha

I can’t believe this is my third year chairing the Department!  The days go by in a constant whirlwind of activity, but always chock full of amazing new challenges and pleasures.  I did do some teaching, including an absolutely wonderful seminar with the not-short title “Performing Voices: Material, Mediation, Technology, Theory,” which drew together students from all our subdisciplines in a wonderful mix.  I somehow managed to finish corrections on a paperback version of Opera and Sovereignty, give the Humanities Day keynote address in Rockefeller, present talks and seminars at Yale and NYU, and keep research going on castrati and new media in turn-of-the-century Rome.  The last will even see the light of day in an article (authored with my research assistant in Rome, Martina Piperno), which I’m proud to have coming out any day now in our graduate students’ journal voiceXchange.  I also had an exhilarating experience giving the address at the 508th Convocation of the University in August, where we had four students receiving their PhDs

Travel is not always the easiest thing to carry off as chair, but Patricia and I managed to work in an amazing trip to South Africa last March, where she headlined in the international jazz festival in Capetown.  In June we were joined in a civil ceremony, and spent July and August writing, lake-swimming, gardening, and hosting a hilarious posse of nephews and nieces in Michigan.