Zbikowski, Lawrence

I was privileged to be on leave this year, with a research project focused on developing a cognitive grammar of music supported by a fellowship from the American Council of Learned Societies and (during the first part of 2011) a Fulbright Visiting Research Chair in Cognitive Music Theory at McGill University. During the first part of April I was Muziektheoreticus in residentie in Ghent and Leuven, a position sponsored by the Dutch-Flemish Society for Music Theory, the Orpheus Institute Ghent, the Universities of Leuven and Amsterdam, and the Conservatory of Amsterdam, and in May I presented the keynote lecture at the annual meeting of Music Theory Midwest in Lincoln, Nebraska. Over the course of the year I also gave lectures at the University of British Columbia (which was recorded and is available online at <http://blip.tv/greencollege/of-exactitude-in-science-music-and-analogy-4802884>), the Northwestern University School of Music, the Schulich School of Music at McGill University, the University of Alberta, the College-Conservatory of Music at the University of Cincinnati, and the University of Leuven.

Work published this year, or to appear shortly, includes chapters in New Perspectives on Music and Gesture (Ashgate) and Music and Consciousness (Oxford), and articles in Music Analysis and Music Theory Spectrum. I also hope to be done with my book manuscript within the next few months, and look forward to sharing publication details with you in the near future.

Last but not least, I am still trying to keep my performance chops in order, and to that end gave a recital in Fulton Hall last November in which I played works by Heitor Villa-Lobos, Joaquin Rodrigo, Richard Rodney Bennett, Toru Takemitsu, Augustin Barrios, and Peter Maxwell Davies.