Rings, Steven

My biggest news from the past academic year was the release of my book, Tonality and Transformation (Oxford) in May 2011. In the fall, I presented two papers at the joint meeting of the American Musicological Society and the Society for Music Theory (one on Bob Dylan, one on Vladimir Jankélévitch). I then gave two more talks on Jankélévitch in the new year (one at Trinity College Dublin, and one as the keynote address at the Music Graduate Student Association Conference in Buffalo). I also presented on my research in transformational theory at Harvard in April. Writing and research continued apace as well. I put the finishing touches on two pieces that will appear later this year: a contribution to a colloquy on Jankélévitch to appear in the Journal of the American Musicological Society, and a review of a new volume on Deleuze and music to appear in Indiana Theory Review. I spent the summer of 2011 happily buried in Bob Dylan research, combing through 45 years (and about as many gigabytes) of live recordings for a big project on the song “It’s Alright, Ma (I’m Only Bleeding),” which I will submit for publication this fall. Finally, Gretchen and I are eagerly looking forward to the arrival of our second son in late September or early October.