Jackson, Travis A.

I spent the last academic year and summer expanding my research on the connections between music and graphic design by visiting the Newspaper Annex of the British Library to examine, among other things, UK music publications from the late 1970s and early 1980s. I presented some of that work in a lecture on campus during the spring quarter. A significant portion of my return from a 2009-10 leave involved my working as a consultant to Charlie Newell, Doug Peck and Drew Dir for the Court Theatre’s path-breaking adaptation of Porgy and Bess. I devoted a good amount of time over the summer to a major revision of the Grove Dictionary article on jazz originally written by my mentor Mark Tucker in the late 1990s. In addition to bringing the article up to date, I focused on slightly recasting the entire narrative history in light of the work done by ethnomusicologists and music analysts as well as cultural historians and literary scholars over the last two decades. I paused briefly to be interviewed by Alison Cuddy on WBEZ’s 848 for a segment on the intersections between jazz and poetry that was broadcast in advance of the 2011 Chicago Jazz Festival. I’ll also spend the early part of the fall preparing “Capturing the Jazz Moment” for presentation on 6 November as part of the 22nd Annual Chicago Humanities Festival.