Briggs, Amy

The past year has been busy and productive.  I am playing on two recently released CDs: a solo recording of contemporary piano tangos (Tangos for Piano) for PARMA Records (October2010 ); and a new disc of works of Conlon Nancarrow (As Fast As Possible) for Wergo Records (May 2011), which also features the Bugallo-Williams piano duo, the Ensemble Modern, and the WDR Sinfonieorchester Köln. The past season featured several performances on the Chicago Symphony Orchestra’s MusicNOW series, as well as two subscription weeks with the Chicago Symphony in April and May of 2011.  I was also fortunate to perform with the Hubbard Street Dance Company, ensemble dal niente, eighth blackbird, and Third Coast Percussion.  Personal highlights were two sold-out performances of Steve Reich’s Music for 18 Musicians at the MCA in February 2011 (with eighth blackbird, Third Coast, and friends) and recently, an all-Reich 75th birthday celebration at Chicago’s Millennium Park with the same performers, featuring his Pulitzer-winning Double Sextet and Music for 18 Musicians. It was a memorable evening in Chicago, with nearly 9500 in attendance, and perfect weather!  I look forward to my third year in the Music Department; and in particular, my new role as resident artist and artistic advisor to the New Music Ensemble.  And I’m especially excited about the additions of Augusta Read Thomas and Seth Brodsky to the Music Department and the growing enthusiasm for new music at the University.