Bohlman, Philip V.

I’ve been fortunate to begin a year of leave in 2011-12 on the road, working mostly in Berlin, where Christine and I now have a second home. Several new projects at the Berlin Phonogramm-Archiv keep me occupied here, first, the assessment of historical recordings of Jewish music in Eastern Europe during the 1930s and 1940s, and an amazing personal collection of Jewish popular music from East Berlin, and second, my ongoing fieldwork in European Muslim communities. I’m finishing up a few books that will appear in 2012, among them, _Hanns Eisler (1898–1962): In der Musik ist es anders_, with co-author and daughter, Andrea Bohlman, and _Revival and Reconciliation_, for which Ben Bohlman (also my son) is doing the layout. My U of C colleague (and wife), Christine, and I continue our performances of twentieth-century melodramas for voice and piano by adding Oskar Fried’s 1914 _Die Auswanderer_ to our repertory, a rare copy of which we were able to track down through Scott Landvatter’s relentless sleuthing. The New Budapest Orpheum Society will again perform in Chicago and on tour, so I hope that our alums will keep their eyes open for performances in their areas. I’m again planning fieldwork in India, probably in late winter or early spring, continuing my ethnographic studies of sacred spaces in which music and the arts intersect.