Robertson, Anne Walters

My news begins with things scholarly and ends, not surprisingly, with matters familial. In December, the Journal of Musicology was kind enough to publish my article on Du Fay’s Missa Se la face ay pale and the Holy Shroud with color pictures on its website (black and white in the print edition). My piece on Machaut’s music in Reims Cathedral, which celebrates its 800th anniversary this year, also appeared with La Nuée bleue. The Reims octocentennial has occasioned much music making in the city, and I got to advise, from afar, the Boston Camerata’s performance of Machaut’s Mass (Anne Azéma, director) in the cathedral in June. Last year also brought a welcome spate of lectures and conferences, including the John Nuveen Lecture at the Divinity School at Chicago in April, along with talks at Eastman, Yale, Princeton, and Cornell. In July, I was in sunny Barcelona for the Medieval and Renaissance Conference, which was held at the Institut d’Estudis Catalans, right in the heart of the city. This building, constructed around a central courtyard, allowed for frequent and relaxed gatherings, and the spectacular weather made congregating out-of-doors particularly pleasant. While in Barcelona, I visited the awesome basilica of the Sagrada Familia, designed by Catalan architect Antoni Gaudí. After Barcelona, it was on to Paris, Reims, and London for research, and finally to Cambridge to see my daughter Caroline. I arrived back in Chicago just in time to help her sister Jackie pack up and head off to college.