Deadline: Friday, April 1, 2011, 12:00 PM
The Center for Gender Studies (CGS) is pleased to announce the dissertation-writing fellowship competition for the school term 2011-2012. For this year, there will be two fellowships awarded, and the fellows will participate in the Center’s Sawyer Seminar, funded by a grant from the Mellon Foundation.
The seminar, titled “International Women’s Human Rights: Paradigms, Paradoxes, and Possibilities,” is designed to address contradictions within the concept and practice of women’s human rights and will involve, among other things, a comparative approach to women’s human rights which analyzes the differences and similarities between the European and the Indian rights traditions.
• University of Chicago Ph.D. candidates from all disciplines are encouraged to apply
• Applicants with dissertations addressing themes of the Sawyer Seminar are encouraged
• Applicants must have been admitted to candidacy by the deadline, April 1, 2011
Award Terms and Conditions:
• The fellowship provides a stipend of $18,000 plus tuition, student fees, health insurance under the Basic Plan for the 2011-2012 academic year
• Fellows are provided with shared office space at the Center for Gender Studies
• Recipients of the fellowship are expected to participate in and present at the Gender and Sexuality Studies Workshop and to attend CGS events, participate in the Sawyer Seminar and related events as well as participate in the intellectual life of the center as a whole
Application Process: The application should include a completed Applicant Data Sheet (Word doc | PDF file ), the student’s current CV, a statement of purpose (cover letter describing your work in relation to your general intellectual preparation, commitments, etc.), a prospectus (description of the dissertation), one chapter, and two letters of recommendation.
The deadline for submission is Friday, April 1, 2011, 12:00 PM. Early applications are welcome!
Submit four (4) copies of the application to: The Center for Gender Studies Attn: Dissertation Fellowship Selection Committee 5733 South University Avenue Chicago, Illinois 60637
Please Note: Faxed or emailed applications cannot be accepted.