2011 Summer Internship, Jewish-Muslim Community Building Initiative, Application Deadline March 13

JMCBI Summer Internship 2011:

Description of Work:

In general, the intern will be supporting the work of the Jewish-Muslim Community Building Initiative, which involves bringing together Jews and Muslims for cultural events and social action. To that end, the intern’s work will be a combination of research and writing, event organizing and outreach, meeting with individuals and organizations in the Jewish and Muslim community, and doing social media and editing work.

Aside from a strong interest in interfaith collaboration and social justice issues, the intern will be expected to feel comfortable with challenges and excited about overcoming obstacles in order to attain goals. Many times the intern will be assigned the “what” and will be expected to think through the “how” independently (while, of course, guidance and support will be given). Creative thinking is encouraged, and optimism is a MUST.

Reflection from 2010 JMCBI Summer Intern:

“As an intern with JCUA, I’ve spent this summer working with the Jewish Muslim Community Building Initiative. I first became interested in JMCBI because of my academic work concerning the Middle East, but had had very little exposure to American Jewish Muslim relations.  In all honesty, I assumed that whatever conflicts existed in American were entirely reliant on the situation in the Middle East. However, I was surprised to learn about the diversity of problems within our own city, and how much can be accomplished by focusing on building bridges between these two communities around social justice work together.

The focus of my work this summer was preparing for Iftar in the Synagogue (an annual interfaith celebration of Ramadan hosted in an Orthodox synagogue).  This event was easily the highlight of my summer, from the relationships that I made on the planning committee to seeing over 250 Jews and Muslims come together simply to get to know one another.  Through my involvement in this event and throughout my internship experience I was able to hone my event planning skills and learn from so many people, while having the opportunity to be exposed to and become active in all of JCUA’s primary campaigns.

Thanks for a great summer, JCUA!”

Katharine Nasielski,

JMCBI Summer Intern, 2010

Northwestern University, Class of 2011

Time Commitment:

Number of weeks: Candidates must be able to commit to a minimum of 10 weeks over the summer. Start and end dates are negotiable.

Number of hours per week: While we give preference to candidates who can commit to a full-time internship (40 hours a week), we will consider all candidates who can commit to a minimum of 20 hours per week.

How to Apply:

Applications for summer 2011 are now being accepted.

Familiarize yourself with the following two websites:

* JCUA, www.jcua.org

* JMCBI, www.jmcbi.org

Send resume and cover letter to Asaf Bar-Tura at asaf@jcua.org.

Cover letter should address (but should not be limited to) the following questions:

* What interests you about JCUA’s mission and activities? How can you contribute to this work?

* What excites you about JMCBI?

* What experiences and qualities would you bring that would help you succeed in this fellowship?

In your resume, please include 1-2 references that could be contacted with regards to your application. Your references should be able to shed light on experience or qualities that are relevant to the fellowship.

Applicants with strong Muslim or Jewish backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply

Application deadline: March 13, 2011

With any questions regarding the summer internship please contact Asaf Bar-Tura: asaf@jcua.org

Posted in: Resources (Funding, Study Abroad, Internships, etc.)