Conference “Media, Poverty and Social Exclusion”
University of Novi Sad, Novi Sad, Serbia, 7 May 2011
Deadline for submission of abstracts (250 words): March 15, 2011
This event is organized by the Department of Media Studies, Faculty of Philosophy, University of Novi Sad within the project Media Discourse on Poverty and Social Exclusion, funded by the Regional Research Promotion Programme in the Western Balkans of the University of Fribourg and the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC).
Mass media have the potential to act either as facilitators of dialogue leading to social change or, in the opposite direction, as a key force for preservation of the status quo. In contemporary societies, the concept of poverty is being replaced by the concept of social exclusion – a complex, multidimensional issue that includes not only economic deprivation but also limitations in access to labour market, educational and health services. Exclusion in this sense is strongly related to the lack of participation and representation, which in modern times is achieved primarily through mass media.
Papers on the following kinds of topic will be especially welcome:
* Media discourse about poverty and socially excluded groups;
* Textual and visual representations of socially excluded groups;
* Cross-discursive analysis of poverty and social exclusion (e.g. Poverty and Globalization, Poverty and Europeanization);
* Ideological layers in discourse about poverty and socially excluded groups;
* Mediated articulations of social inequalities in Western Balkan societies;
* Multiple discrimination and social exclusion discourses;
* The media role in poverty alleviation;
* The potential of Internet to become an alternative channel of articulation of social needs and interest;
* Functions and effects of Internet based campaigns and projects on poverty reduction and social inclusion.
Participation and registration
Please send abstracts of 250 words max. via email to the organizers (email@example.com) with the subject line “Media and Poverty and Social Exclusion”. Submissions should contain a title page with the title of the presentation, names and contact data of all authors. Please send one document containing title page and abstract in a word file, and be sure to remove all author identification from the abstract itself, as proposals will be submitted into blind peer review.
Deadline for submission is March 15, 2011.
Participants will be notified about results by April 5, 2011.
There is no conference fee. Participants will make their own arrangements for travel and accommodation and the organizers will provide lunch and coffee breaks on the day of the conferences.
With the support of the Regional Research Promotional Programme in the Western Balkans, the organizer will provide funding for travel and accommodation for maximum 10 participants from Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia and Montenegro.