Ted Cohen is a Professor in the Department of Philosophy whose research primarily falls in the philosophy of art, with attendant interests in the philosophy of language and the history of the philosophy of art. Among other topics, he has written extensively on philosophical issues concerning metaphor, philosophy and literature, and jokes. Within these broader fields, he has strong interests in Jewish humor and the study of contemporary Israeli authors (in translation), especially Amoz Oz, Meir Shalev, and A. B. Yehoshua. Some sense of Cohen’s interests in these matters, both concerning Jewish humor and the aesthetical appreciation of Biblical texts, can be found in his books Jokes and Thinking of Others.
- Forward article by College intern Doni Bloomfield on Jews in prison
- Internships "life-changing" for undergraduates
- Joyce Zeger Greenberg establishes a new visiting professorship in Jewish Studies
- Congratulations to Dory Fox and Jonathon Catlin, winners of the Fourth Annual Undergraduate Essay Competition
- JOURNAL: Makom Issue No. 4, Download PDF
- Jonathon Catlin receives award from Jewish Theological Seminary
- Congratulations to Research/Travel Grant Award recipients, Jessica Andruss, Joshua Connor, Yaqub Hilal, Ruchama Johnston-Bloom, Tracey Jones, and Alexandra Zirkle
- Congratulations Michael A. Figueroa, Recipient 2012 Targum Shlishi Grant for Dissertation in Jewish Studies
- Haaretz: "Family, lies and videotape: Guy Ben-Ner's meteoric rise to fame"
- Haaretz: Sayed Kashua on his visit to Chicago
- AUDIO: Sayed Kashua, "Second Person Singular" March 5, 2013
- AUDIO: Eyal Chowers "Violence and the Hebrew Language: Israel's Inner-struggles"
- AUDIO: Sander Gilman, "Smart Jews and Science: The Science of 'Smartiness' and Jews"
- JOURNAL: Makom Issue No. 3, Download PDF
- Student publishes opinion piece in Haaretz
- Chicago Maroon on Israeli author Ronit Matalon
- VIDEO: David Grossman at the Chicago Humanities Festival
- VIDEO: Etgar Keret and Nathan Englander
- AUDIO: Matthew Suriano "Death in the Kingdom of Judah"
- AUDIO: Alvin Rosenfeld, The Gossett Lecture
- AUDIO: Nili Sacher Fox, "Fashion vs. Ideology"
- NEWS: On Stephen Durchslag. "Why is one haggadah different from all others?" – Haaretz Daily Newspaper
- AUDIO: Marc Michael Epstein, "Birds' Head Revisited"
- Conference: Hypocrisy and Dissimulation in Judaism, Christianity and Islam
- Director Stern in China
- The Arts of Jewish Memory Symposium Feb 25
- New Budapest Orpheum Society Tour in North Germany