Congratulations to Carlos Cisneros, who has been awarded an NSF Graduate Research Fellowship! His project is titled “Mixtec Wh-words as NPIs and FCIs”. Great job, Carlos!
Congratulations to Suwon Yoon (PhD, 2011), who will join the Department of Linguistics & TESOL at UT Arlington this coming Fall as a tenure-track Assistant Professor. Congratulations, Suwon!
Andrea Beltrama and Ming Xiang presented “Rescuing exists! An experimental study on island violations and resumptive pronouns in Italian” at the Penn Linguistic Colloquium last weekend. Suwon Yoon (PhD, 2011) also presented “Main Clause Phenomena at the Syntax-Semantics Interface” there!
Emily Coppess and Adam Singerman have been awarded fellowships by the LSA to attend the upcoming LSA Summer Institute at the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor. Congratulations!
Karlos Arregi has been named an associate editor of the flagship journal of the LSA, Language. Congratulations, Karlos!
Rebekah Baglini and Itamar Francez presented at WCCFL 31 recently:
- Rebekah Baglini. Deriving target and resultant states
- Rebekah Baglini and Itamar Francez. The implications of managing
Our alum, Mitcho Erlewine (B.A./M.A. 2007) was there as well!
Several Chicago linguists are presenting at the 39th annual meeting of the Berkeley Linguistics Society. Congratulations to all!
- Dorothea Hoffmann: Mapping words and mapping worlds: Frames of Reference in MalakMalak
- Martina Martinovic: The topic-comment structure in copular sentences: evidence from Wolof
- Chieu Nguyen: Quantification in the left periphery: the duality of universal quantification and contrastive focus in Vietnamese
- Seyda Özçalıskan & Susan Goldin- Meadow: How speaking shapes the native language of gesture in describing motion