On Tuesday, Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco) said steam was seen around the fifth floor of the building housing Reactor No 3 shortly after 09:00 local time (00:00 GMT).
Workers were continuing with the ongoing operation to inject cooling water into the reactor and a pool storing nuclear fuel, it added.
It is not clear what is causing the steam, but levels of radiation around the reactor have not changed.
The sight of steam rising is worrying because it means somewhere inside the reactor building water is boiling, says the BBC’s Rupert Wingfield-Hayes in Tokyo.
The badly damaged reactors are supposed to be in what is called “cold shutdown”; the temperature of the cooling water inside the reactor should be well below boiling point.
It is another sign that Tepco still does not fully know what is going on inside the damaged reactors, our correspondent adds.
Steam was last seen rising from a reactor building at the plant on 18 July.
The plant was crippled by an earthquake and tsunami in 2011, which knocked out cooling systems to the reactors, three of which melted down.
Continue reading at Fukushima nuclear plant: Japan takes steps over sea leak
Choose Language / 言語
Updates / 最新記事
- Group: Shutting down Richland nuke plant would save money via Tri-City Herald
- Saugeen Ojibwe and U.S. Politicians Oppose Nuclear Waste Burial Near Lake Huron via Indian Country Today
- Council measure urges lab to clean up nuke dump via Santa Fe New Mexican
- Former Japanese leader firm on nuclear energy via DW
- Nuke industry to Obama: You need us via The Hill
- 中間貯蔵施設候補地「使用可能」で評価へ via NHK News Web
- The Escalating Catastrophe Japan’s New ‘Fukushima Fascism’ via Counterpunch
- Energy Department to Give $226 Million to Support Nuclear Reactor Design via The New York Times
- 【movie review】Nuclear Nation via The Dissolve
- Arkansas Nuclear Plant Explosion Goes Largely Unreported By National Media via Political Blindspot
Archives / 月別アーカイブ
- December 2013 (74)
- November 2013 (164)
- October 2013 (200)
- September 2013 (255)
- August 2013 (198)
- July 2013 (208)
- June 2013 (231)
- May 2013 (174)
- April 2013 (156)
- March 2013 (199)
- February 2013 (191)
- January 2013 (173)
- December 2012 (92)
- November 2012 (198)
- October 2012 (229)
- September 2012 (207)
- August 2012 (255)
- July 2012 (347)
- June 2012 (231)
- May 2012 (168)
- April 2012 (116)
- March 2012 (150)
- February 2012 (198)
- January 2012 (292)
- December 2011 (251)
- November 2011 (252)
- October 2011 (364)
- September 2011 (288)
- August 2011 (513)
- July 2011 (592)
- June 2011 (253)
- May 2011 (251)
- April 2011 (571)
- March 2011 (494)
- February 2011 (1)
- December 2010 (1)
By Topic / トピック一覧
anti-nuclear energy movement Atomic Age Capitalism East Japan Earthquake + Fukushima energy policy EU food France health Hiroshima/Nagasaki IAEA India Inequality labor NRC nuclear waste Nuclear Weapons Radiation exposure Russia/Ukraine/Chernobyl TEPCO U.S. UK エネルギー政策 メディア ロシア/ウクライナ/チェルノブイリ 上関 健康 公正・共生 兵器 再稼働 労働における公正・平等 原発推進 反原発運動 大飯原発 女性・フェミニズム 広島・長崎 教育 東京電力 東日本大震災・福島原発 汚染水 米国 脱原発 被ばく 資本主義 除染