Japan Atomic Power Co. posted record net profits for the first half of the current fiscal year, despite all of its reactors being taken offline following the 2011 Fukushima nuclear disaster.
The company, which supplies five regional electric utilities with power generated at its nuclear power plants, logged 20.9 billion yen ($238 million) in consolidated net profits in the April-September period in 2012, according to its half-year financial report submitted late last year to a regional office of the Finance Ministry.
It was able to post a profit despite generating no electricity because it was paid a combined 76 billion yen in “basic fees” by Tokyo Electric Power Co., which owns the crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant, Kansai Electric Power Co. and three other utilities.
The unlisted Japan Atomic Power receives these basic fees based on its contracts with the utilities. The company says its contracts are renewed every year and that it receives the payments even if it supplies no electricity to them.
Group net profits shot up because there were no costs from generating power as all three of its reactors were idled.
The company is expected to set a record in the current fiscal year ending in March if it does not suffer any major losses, surpassing its highest full-year group net profits of about 3.2 billion yen in fiscal 2008.
But posting profits without supplying power could rouse public ire because utilities pass these fees on to their customers.
Officials with TEPCO and Kansai Electric have served as presidents of the company.
Tsunehisa Katsumata, former president and chairman of TEPCO, serves as an external director of Japan Atomic Power.
Choose Language / 言語
Updates / 最新記事
- Group: Shutting down Richland nuke plant would save money via Tri-City Herald
- Saugeen Ojibwe and U.S. Politicians Oppose Nuclear Waste Burial Near Lake Huron via Indian Country Today
- Council measure urges lab to clean up nuke dump via Santa Fe New Mexican
- Former Japanese leader firm on nuclear energy via DW
- Nuke industry to Obama: You need us via The Hill
- 中間貯蔵施設候補地「使用可能」で評価へ via NHK News Web
- The Escalating Catastrophe Japan’s New ‘Fukushima Fascism’ via Counterpunch
- Energy Department to Give $226 Million to Support Nuclear Reactor Design via The New York Times
- 【movie review】Nuclear Nation via The Dissolve
- Arkansas Nuclear Plant Explosion Goes Largely Unreported By National Media via Political Blindspot
Archives / 月別アーカイブ
- December 2013 (74)
- November 2013 (164)
- October 2013 (200)
- September 2013 (255)
- August 2013 (198)
- July 2013 (208)
- June 2013 (231)
- May 2013 (174)
- April 2013 (156)
- March 2013 (199)
- February 2013 (191)
- January 2013 (173)
- December 2012 (92)
- November 2012 (198)
- October 2012 (229)
- September 2012 (207)
- August 2012 (255)
- July 2012 (347)
- June 2012 (231)
- May 2012 (168)
- April 2012 (116)
- March 2012 (150)
- February 2012 (198)
- January 2012 (292)
- December 2011 (251)
- November 2011 (252)
- October 2011 (364)
- September 2011 (288)
- August 2011 (513)
- July 2011 (592)
- June 2011 (253)
- May 2011 (251)
- April 2011 (571)
- March 2011 (494)
- February 2011 (1)
- December 2010 (1)
By Topic / トピック一覧
anti-nuclear energy movement Atomic Age Capitalism East Japan Earthquake + Fukushima energy policy EU food France health Hiroshima/Nagasaki IAEA India Inequality labor NRC nuclear waste Nuclear Weapons Radiation exposure Russia/Ukraine/Chernobyl TEPCO U.S. UK エネルギー政策 メディア ロシア/ウクライナ/チェルノブイリ 上関 健康 公正・共生 兵器 再稼働 労働における公正・平等 原発推進 反原発運動 大飯原発 女性・フェミニズム 広島・長崎 教育 東京電力 東日本大震災・福島原発 汚染水 米国 脱原発 被ばく 資本主義 除染