TOKYO: Eight million people signed an Internet petition demanding an end to nuclear power and hundreds of thousands joined public protests. Yet Japan handed an election landslide to the most pro-atomic option on offer.
Anti-nuclear activists have been left licking their wounds after the first national poll since the tsunami-sparked disaster at Fukushima saw an apparent melting away of public anger as the country welcomed back the establishment.
“A problem was that political divisions emerged over when and how to stop nuclear power,” said Hideyuki Ban, co-director of the Citizens’ Nuclear Information Center, an anti-nuclear advocacy group.
“It would have been ideal if the parties had came together under a simple, broad goal of ending nuclear power. But parties had to differentiate themselves from others for the election. Maybe it was inevitable,” he said.
The Liberal Democratic Party bagged 294 of the 480 seats in the lower house, crushing their opponents, the biggest of which won only 57 seats.
In fact, says the Asahi, the anti-nuclear vote was almost completely neutralised because of the fragmentation caused by this mushrooming of parties.
Some 78 per cent of people who voted said they wanted nuclear power to end now or to be phased out, the Asahi said.
Many of their votes were divided among four parties other than the LDP, according to the Asahi, which added that the LDP also received votes from people who wanted an end to nuclear.
Continue reading at Japan anti-nuclear vote melts away
Choose Language / 言語
Updates / 最新記事
- 281_Anti Nuke: The Japanese street artist taking on Tokyo, TEPCO and the nation’s right-wing extremists via
- Pandora’s False Promise by Kennette Benedict via the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists
- 高市早苗議員の原発関連発言を田母神俊雄氏が擁護する via アメーバニュース
- Japan Moves Toward Restarting Nuclear Reactors via The New York Times
- 東海村放射能漏れ、換気扇６５時間半も回し放し via Yomiuri online
- High levels of strontium, tritium found in well water at Fukushima plant via The Asahi Shimbun
- ２号機海側、地下水が高濃度汚染＝トリチウムなど検出—東電福島第１via ウォール・ストリート・ジャーナル
- GOP bill would feed new funding to stalled Yucca Mountain project via the Las Vegas Sun
- 原発の活用は経済成長につながるか・金子勝 via 報道するラジオ
- 【6/19】緊急提言「原発再稼働を3年間凍結し、原子力災害を二度と起こさない体系的政策を構築せよ」に関する記者会見のお知らせ via 原子力市民委員会
Archives / 月別アーカイブ
- June 2013 (141)
- May 2013 (175)
- April 2013 (156)
- March 2013 (199)
- February 2013 (191)
- January 2013 (173)
- December 2012 (92)
- November 2012 (198)
- October 2012 (229)
- September 2012 (207)
- August 2012 (255)
- July 2012 (347)
- June 2012 (231)
- May 2012 (168)
- April 2012 (116)
- March 2012 (150)
- February 2012 (198)
- January 2012 (292)
- December 2011 (251)
- November 2011 (252)
- October 2011 (364)
- September 2011 (288)
- August 2011 (513)
- July 2011 (592)
- June 2011 (253)
- May 2011 (251)
- April 2011 (571)
- March 2011 (494)
- February 2011 (1)
- December 2010 (1)
By Topic / トピック一覧
anti-nuclear energy movement Atomic Age Capitalism East Japan Earthquake + Fukushima energy policy EU food France health Hiroshima/Nagasaki IAEA India Inequality labor NRC nuclear waste Nuclear Weapons Radiation exposure restart Russia/Ukraine/Chernobyl TEPCO U.S. UK エネルギー政策 メディア ヨーロッパ ロシア/ウクライナ/チェルノブイリ 上関 健康 公正・共生 兵器 再稼働 労働における公正・平等 原発推進 反原発運動 大飯原発 女性・フェミニズム 広島・長崎 教育 東京電力 東日本大震災・福島原発 米国 脱原発 被ばく 資本主義