Tokyo Electric Power Co, known as Tepco, needs to get Kashiwazaki-Kariwa running to reduce fuel costs, which totaled 1.34 trillion yen ($16.87 billion) in the six months through September when none of its reactors were online.
Restarting Kashiwazaki was also a central plank of the bailout of Tepco by the government, which injected 1 trillion yen of capital into the utility in July. Tepco also got a commitment from its banks to lend it another 1 trillion yen based on getting the reactors operating again to reduce losses.
Tepco President Naomi Hirose said two weeks ago that Tepco remained committed to starting the first of the plant’s seven reactors in April. But Tepco’s lack of transparency after the Fukushima disaster is a major concern, especially for those living in the shadow of the plant.
Workers could be seen setting steel reinforcing in place for a 1-km (half mile) section of concrete wall. In the distance, waves crashed against a sea barrier.
On a hill above the reactor buildings, pump trucks and trucks with generators and heat exchangers are standing by in case the power and cooling system are knocked out.
The company was also filling a newly completed reservoir capable of holding 20,000 tonnes of water for use in an emergency to keep reactors cool.
Tepco still needs to have radiation filters installed to protect staff inside an emergency bunker it built after the 2007 earthquake, Arai said.
Choose Language / 言語
Updates / 最新記事
- ２号機海側、地下水が高濃度汚染＝トリチウムなど検出—東電福島第１via ウォール・ストリート・ジャーナル
- GOP bill would feed new funding to stalled Yucca Mountain project via the Las Vegas Sun
- 原発の活用は経済成長につながるか・金子勝 via 報道するラジオ
- 【6/19】緊急提言「原発再稼働を3年間凍結し、原子力災害を二度と起こさない体系的政策を構築せよ」に関する記者会見のお知らせ via 原子力市民委員会
- 「原発事故で死者なし」高市氏 発言を釈明「話が下手だった」via スポニチアネックス
- Kids learn science at nuclear power plant via Asbury Park Press
- Obama, Putin find agreement on nuclear weapons via The Washington Times
- Government secretly backtracks on Fukushima decontamination goal via The Asahi Shimbun
- Kan hits Abe’s nuclear salesmanship via The Japan Times
- Kepco’s MOX load to arrive June 27 via The Japan Times
Archives / 月別アーカイブ
- June 2013 (135)
- May 2013 (175)
- April 2013 (156)
- March 2013 (199)
- February 2013 (191)
- January 2013 (173)
- December 2012 (92)
- November 2012 (198)
- October 2012 (229)
- September 2012 (207)
- August 2012 (255)
- July 2012 (347)
- June 2012 (231)
- May 2012 (168)
- April 2012 (116)
- March 2012 (150)
- February 2012 (198)
- January 2012 (292)
- December 2011 (251)
- November 2011 (252)
- October 2011 (364)
- September 2011 (288)
- August 2011 (513)
- July 2011 (592)
- June 2011 (253)
- May 2011 (251)
- April 2011 (571)
- March 2011 (494)
- February 2011 (1)
- December 2010 (1)
By Topic / トピック一覧
anti-nuclear energy movement Atomic Age Capitalism East Japan Earthquake + Fukushima energy policy EU food France health Hiroshima/Nagasaki IAEA India Inequality labor NRC nuclear waste Nuclear Weapons Radiation exposure restart Russia/Ukraine/Chernobyl TEPCO U.S. UK エネルギー政策 メディア ヨーロッパ ロシア/ウクライナ/チェルノブイリ 上関 健康 公正・共生 兵器 再稼働 労働における公正・平等 原発推進 反原発運動 大飯原発 女性・フェミニズム 広島・長崎 教育 東京電力 東日本大震災・福島原発 米国 脱原発 被ばく 資本主義