Sixty years since Britain tested its first atom bomb in Australia, those who witnessed the blast – many who now have cancer – have reunited to talk about how it changed their lives.
The veterans are still seeking an apology from the Federal Government and appropriate health care for them and their children.
Official records say those serving on the HMAS Murchison on October 3, 1952, were 70 miles away when Britain successfully detonated an atomic bomb on the Monte Bello islands, off the coast of the Pilbara in Western Australia.
But to this day, many who were there say they were much closer.
Michael Rowe was on board the ship and remembers the moment the bomb went off.
“We were told to face east, which we did, and then we were told we could turn around and face west and we saw the first British atom bomb go off,” he said.
Mr Rowe is among those who attended a lunch at a Navy base in Sydney with other veterans and their families to mark the anniversary.
“I think it’s an important day in our lives. It’s 60 years after we were at Montebello when the Brits set off their bomb,” he said.
He smiles when he recalls how underdressed they were.
“We were clothed to protect ourselves in a pair of shorts and sandals. That’s all,” he said.
Continue reading at Atom bomb veterans remember life-changing blast
Choose Language / 言語
Updates / 最新記事
- Senators voice MOX support via The Aiken Standard
- Bad Radioactive Waste Bill Increases Threats to Texas While Rewarding a Major Perry Donor via The Gilmer Mirror
- Hanford waste moved across town with parade permit via King5.com
- EDF Slumps After Nuclear Price Concerns Trigger Stock Downgrade via Bloomberg Businessweek
- 市民の放射能検査に貢献 伏見の測定所、開設１年 via 京都新聞
- Torness Nuclear power station back open to public via scotsman
- 志賀原発タービン、動翼取り付け部にひび割れ via Yomiuri online
- 「福島県外でも甲状腺検査をやってくださいよ」福島瑞穂議員 via 子ども達を放射能から守るネットワーク＠ちば
- [audio] Too Hot To Handle: Weapons Grade Nuclear Waste In A Nevada Landfill? via Nevada Public Radio
- White House Supports Rollback of Cleanup Standards for Nuclear Incidents via Global Security Newswire
Archives / 月別アーカイブ
- May 2013 (100)
- April 2013 (156)
- March 2013 (199)
- February 2013 (191)
- January 2013 (173)
- December 2012 (92)
- November 2012 (198)
- October 2012 (229)
- September 2012 (207)
- August 2012 (255)
- July 2012 (347)
- June 2012 (231)
- May 2012 (168)
- April 2012 (116)
- March 2012 (150)
- February 2012 (198)
- January 2012 (292)
- December 2011 (251)
- November 2011 (252)
- October 2011 (364)
- September 2011 (288)
- August 2011 (513)
- July 2011 (592)
- June 2011 (253)
- May 2011 (251)
- April 2011 (571)
- March 2011 (494)
- February 2011 (1)
- December 2010 (1)
By Topic / トピック一覧
anti-nuclear energy movement Atomic Age Capitalism East Japan Earthquake + Fukushima energy policy EU food France health Hiroshima/Nagasaki IAEA India Inequality labor nuclear waste Nuclear Weapons Oi Radiation exposure restart Russia/Ukraine/Chernobyl TEPCO U.S. UK エネルギー政策 メディア ヨーロッパ ロシア/ウクライナ/チェルノブイリ 上関 健康 公正・共生 兵器 再稼働 労働における公正・平等 原発推進 反原発運動 大飯原発 女性・フェミニズム 広島・長崎 教育 東京電力 東日本大震災・福島原発 米国 脱原発 被ばく 資本主義