A leaked report has raised new fears that Murorua Atoll, the site of French nuclear testing in the Pacific, is in danger of collapsing.
Murorua e Tatou says the issue was detailed in a leaked report from the Ministry of Defence to the French government dated March 2010.
The Nuclear Association’s president, Roland Oldham, told Radio Australia’s Pacific Beat program that radioactive material could be released into the Pacific Ocean if the atoll were to collapse.
“Just in that little area there is over maybe twelve underground tests in that area and we have to remember that France have done altogether 193 nuclear test explosions in Murorua,” he said.
“In the soil of Muroroa, if something happens there is about 150 holes containing very dangerous radioactivity.”
The association says if the atoll were to collapse it could also trigger a 15 metre tsunami.
Mr Oldham is concerned the government didn’t make the report available to the public earlier.
“This information was very discrete, I mean we only got this information now,” he said.
“I mean the report is from 2010, why wait so long?
Continue reading at Nuclear fears over French Polynesia atoll collapse
Choose Language / 言語
Updates / 最新記事
- Stricken Japan nuke plant struggles to keep staff via savannahnow.com
- One dead, 14 wounded in Niger uranium mine bombing: Areva via expatica.com
- ウラン施設に自爆テロ ニジェールで報復か via msn.産経ニュース
- 広瀬隆が提言「敦賀の次に廃炉にすべき原発は…」via dot. (週刊朝日）
- No Childhood Leukemia Found Near Ontario Nuclear Power Plants via Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
- Merkel protege struggles with Germany’s green revolution via Reuters
- Moniz sworn in as secretary of DOE via Power Engineering
- ＩＡＥＡ:日本政府と東電へ１７の助言 報告書提出 via 毎日jp
- 溶け落ちた燃料の回収は絶対できない via 人民新聞オンライン
- [UK] Government reaffirms nuclear commitment via the construction index
Archives / 月別アーカイブ
- May 2013 (129)
- April 2013 (156)
- March 2013 (199)
- February 2013 (191)
- January 2013 (173)
- December 2012 (92)
- November 2012 (198)
- October 2012 (229)
- September 2012 (207)
- August 2012 (255)
- July 2012 (347)
- June 2012 (231)
- May 2012 (168)
- April 2012 (116)
- March 2012 (150)
- February 2012 (198)
- January 2012 (292)
- December 2011 (251)
- November 2011 (252)
- October 2011 (364)
- September 2011 (288)
- August 2011 (513)
- July 2011 (592)
- June 2011 (253)
- May 2011 (251)
- April 2011 (571)
- March 2011 (494)
- February 2011 (1)
- December 2010 (1)
By Topic / トピック一覧
anti-nuclear energy movement Atomic Age Capitalism East Japan Earthquake + Fukushima energy policy EU food France health Hiroshima/Nagasaki IAEA India Inequality labor nuclear waste Nuclear Weapons Oi Radiation exposure restart Russia/Ukraine/Chernobyl TEPCO U.S. UK エネルギー政策 メディア ヨーロッパ ロシア/ウクライナ/チェルノブイリ 上関 健康 公正・共生 兵器 再稼働 労働における公正・平等 原発推進 反原発運動 大飯原発 女性・フェミニズム 広島・長崎 教育 東京電力 東日本大震災・福島原発 米国 脱原発 被ばく 資本主義