Elderly Japanese say they should tackle the nuke crisis, not the young.
It isn’t brave, it’s just common sense.
That’s the partyline of one Yasuteru Yamada, 72-year-old retired engineer hell-bent on getting his hands dirty at the Fukushima power plant.
Why should Japan’s young people risk their lives getting the nuclear disaster at the defunct plant under control, when the nation’s elderly could do the work without paying the price?
“Even if I were exposed to radiation, cancer could take 20 or 30 years or longer to develop,” Yamada said. “Therefore us older ones have less chance of getting cancer.”
With TEPCO confirming that three of the reactors are likely to have suffered meltdowns, is this a kamikaze mission? asks BBC.
Yamada laughs off any such comparison.
“Kamikaze is something strange,” he says. “No risk management there.”
So far, 200 retired engineers and others (all over 60) have joined the Skilled Veterans Corps, as they call themselves.
Continue reading at Japan’s totally awesome old people
Choose Language / 言語
Updates / 最新記事
- ３号貯水槽から移送開始 ８４００トン、地上タンクへ via msn.産経ニュース
- Senators voice MOX support via The Aiken Standard
- Bad Radioactive Waste Bill Increases Threats to Texas While Rewarding a Major Perry Donor via The Gilmer Mirror
- Hanford waste moved across town with parade permit via King5.com
- EDF Slumps After Nuclear Price Concerns Trigger Stock Downgrade via Bloomberg Businessweek
- 市民の放射能検査に貢献 伏見の測定所、開設１年 via 京都新聞
- Torness Nuclear power station back open to public via scotsman
- 志賀原発タービン、動翼取り付け部にひび割れ via Yomiuri online
- 「福島県外でも甲状腺検査をやってくださいよ」福島瑞穂議員 via 子ども達を放射能から守るネットワーク＠ちば
- [audio] Too Hot To Handle: Weapons Grade Nuclear Waste In A Nevada Landfill? via Nevada Public Radio
Archives / 月別アーカイブ
- May 2013 (101)
- April 2013 (156)
- March 2013 (199)
- February 2013 (191)
- January 2013 (173)
- December 2012 (92)
- November 2012 (198)
- October 2012 (229)
- September 2012 (207)
- August 2012 (255)
- July 2012 (347)
- June 2012 (231)
- May 2012 (168)
- April 2012 (116)
- March 2012 (150)
- February 2012 (198)
- January 2012 (292)
- December 2011 (251)
- November 2011 (252)
- October 2011 (364)
- September 2011 (288)
- August 2011 (513)
- July 2011 (592)
- June 2011 (253)
- May 2011 (251)
- April 2011 (571)
- March 2011 (494)
- February 2011 (1)
- December 2010 (1)
By Topic / トピック一覧
anti-nuclear energy movement Atomic Age Capitalism East Japan Earthquake + Fukushima energy policy EU food France health Hiroshima/Nagasaki IAEA India Inequality labor nuclear waste Nuclear Weapons Oi Radiation exposure restart Russia/Ukraine/Chernobyl TEPCO U.S. UK エネルギー政策 メディア ヨーロッパ ロシア/ウクライナ/チェルノブイリ 上関 健康 公正・共生 兵器 再稼働 労働における公正・平等 原発推進 反原発運動 大飯原発 女性・フェミニズム 広島・長崎 教育 東京電力 東日本大震災・福島原発 米国 脱原発 被ばく 資本主義